Tunoid Virgins Confess! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tunoid Virgins Confess!

juro
08-14-2001, 09:00 PM
And help us figure out the placement strategy on a boat. Tod Dillon has done an incredible job putting a spreadsheet together from the signups (thanks Tod!). I thought about how to best pick boat seats and although there is no rhyme or reason to it one of the coolest things we can do is reduce the number of unitiated in the world. }>

So reply here to let us know, of course if you are going to be around all three days you will get on a boat eventually and others who won't get the chance later will probably go first.

(Save a fly for Tod too!)

doogue
08-14-2001, 09:32 PM
I have been a tunoid virgin for 26 years.

It is time to remedy that situation...

I will be putting on my pogie oil cologne and I hope to break the ice this weekend.

-Mike Doogue

JimW
08-14-2001, 09:35 PM
Tunoid virgin here. I think I might have seen them once over in Menemsha. Oh yeah there was that Bonito that Capt. Ray nailed on a Big old sluggo at RhodyFest 2000, I spotted those fish. That's as close as I've come to the little torpedos.

Bobparsons
08-14-2001, 11:12 PM
As far as flyfishing goes, I'm a tunoid virgin.
Hrmm I think I will spend all three days on a boat.

Roop
08-15-2001, 05:46 AM
You'll be able to recognize me as a virgin -I'll be the one dressed all in white!

Craig
08-15-2001, 06:22 AM
Mike, myself and the Estey's were chasing the speedsters in our canoes last year. One canoe was being towed around by the other, with my 4 horse motor doing the propelling, what a sight that was. No luck for me, I still have my cherry.

FredA
08-15-2001, 06:31 AM
Another one here.

grego
08-15-2001, 09:24 AM
Since King Macs don't count as Tunoids, Yes I am still a Virgin.

Hawkeye
08-15-2001, 09:59 AM
An albie and mac are as close as I've come. Albie being a tunoid I'm not sure if I'm technically a virgin - I'm thinking of it more like getting to third base. :)

ssully
08-15-2001, 10:33 AM
Tunoids may be a misnomer.

I think exotics may be a more appropriate term. So IMHO albies, bones, and spanish mackeral all count. Then there's the big boys schoolie BFT, YFT and jacks.

doug
08-15-2001, 11:29 AM
Tunoid virgin?! Well....definitely a tunoid virgin on the fly rod!
Unfortunately another Boneclave will come and go without me...AGAIN!
All is not lost though....I'll suffer through the annual MV vacation. :)
And will hopefully see some action on the Slam Dance raffle trip in September...fly rod included. He he!
Doug B.

TinMan
08-15-2001, 12:03 PM
doug (08-15-2001 12:29 p.m.):
Tunoid virgin?! Well....definitely a tunoid virgin on the fly rod!
Unfortunately another Boneclave will come and go without me...AGAIN!
All is not lost though....I'll suffer through the annual MV vacation. :)
And will hopefully see some action on the Slam Dance raffle trip in September...fly rod included. He he!
Doug B.

You are gonna have a BLAST with Slam Dance! Should change the name to GRAND Slam Dance!

jared
08-15-2001, 12:19 PM
ok, ok, not a virgin...but missing yet another 'clave...duty calls elsewhere (I'll try and take some pics Juro...) -- but hope y'all have a great time. I know the temptation is to lean towards watercraft, but don't overlook the rocks...I've caught the slam standing on both of those jetties....

--jared

Tod D
08-15-2001, 01:04 PM
Technically no, but.... none on the fly & it's been a looooong time...

August '90, my brother & I are blindcasting w/ spinning rods (one w/ a broken drag) in Edgartown Harbor. Heard about these funny fish that "may or may not" be there. Double, blind hook ups, my drag fails, his gets stuck. Running down the beach trying to keep from getting spooled by these fish - of which we basically know nothing about. Miracle of miracles, we land them - 6 lb'ers.

Fellow fisherman says we should keep them as they are delicious. Bleed fish, hop on bikes & start to ride home.

It's about 7 a.m. Woman driving through Edgartown center stops us & offers $50 apiece for the fish. We look at each other, look at her. Sell her 1 fish, keep the other.

Still remember the taste of that fish that night on the grill. Oh, the $50 didn't hurt either.

bcasey
08-15-2001, 08:48 PM
The only thing I've felt POP is my leader every time I get one of those little suckers on, Therefor, cherry still intact. Since I'll have my own boat, I'll need a seasoned navigator as well as another virgin on board so that I'm not the only one trembling on board.
There, I said it, and I don't even feel so bad.
Man, I can't wait to catch on of those suckers !

shadfreak
08-15-2001, 10:44 PM
OK I'm a virrrrrrrrrrrrrgin also, whoops I mean tunoid virgin. The closest I've been to them is watching them flying out of the water about 60 yards farther then I can cast at South Cape beach last year.
Larry