Please advise on two issues. . . [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Please advise on two issues. . .

broche
08-14-2001, 08:35 AM
Greetings Folks!

I hope everyone is having a nice summer and doing alot more flycasting than I am!

I'm wondering what's happening at Plum Island - are there still bass in fishable numbers? I may be in the area this weekend and into Monday.

Also, I've noticed some conversation regarding 11 weights. I have fished extensively with a 9 weight and although it has been suitable, even a "small" ten-pounder bends it in half. I have been thinking about going with a heavier rod (not just for leveraging power, but for better casting in nasty, saltwater conditions). Has anyone used a rod with a cork foregrip? Does it affect the feel of the rod, and thus the casting stroke? Thanks to all in advance and I hope everyone is well.

Bill

Lefty
08-14-2001, 08:53 AM
oops, read next one

Lefty
08-14-2001, 08:56 AM
Bill,
Nice to hear from you. I beleive that PI is still in the summer Doldrums, though none of the regulars are reporting on it lately. IT got so slow most seemed to have given it a rest. But you never know. I guess we're waiting for the fall run to start soon. Anyway you can make it to Chatham? Better fishing, good parking.

As for 9 wt's being bent over, I wish. See recent discussion on the board HERE (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/cgi-bin/UB/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=2&TID=8792&SID=13929)

See ya around pal.

Lefty (aka: Terry)

broche
08-14-2001, 10:37 AM
Lefty (08-14-2001 09:57 a.m.):
oops, read next one

Hi Terry! Thanks for the response. Where in Chatham should I fish - on the beach? I'm not familiear with the area, but if there are fish there, I would like to go!

Bill

Roop
08-14-2001, 11:23 AM
Bill

Let us know when you're heading to Chatham, I'm sure we can get someone to show you a few of the better spots.

Roop

ron
08-14-2001, 12:46 PM
I won't give you any advise on Plum Island as I don't fish the area. However if you get a heavier rod stay away from the extra(foregrip) unless you are fishing it from a boat where the extra leverage is needed; otherwise it just adds weight and surf casting being what it is you don't need the extra weight on the front of the rod. ron

juro
08-14-2001, 12:54 PM
Twohanded rods have a very nice foreward grip }>

Unfortunately, although many who have recently gotten into the twohanders might disagree, the configurations available on the market today have a limited use in the overall striper scene. The best use IMHO is the one Harry Koons of Nauset Angler takes - the big ocean surf. Also when shore fishing on wild rip currents.

I'd like something that casts like a 11' surf rod, strips like a 9' flyrod, and fights fish with extra leverage like a tarpon rod. Mark my words, it will appear on the scene someday. Even if I have to build it myself! (I lost focus on that project due to the arrival of many big fish and good weather but there's always next winter)

broche
08-14-2001, 04:22 PM
I appreciate all the feedback - there is quite a bit of experience and expertise on this board! Thanks!

Bill

striblue
08-14-2001, 08:45 PM
Bill ,let me know when you will be in Chatham... we can hook up and I can take you to do some beach fishing.

juro
08-14-2001, 08:50 PM
Count me in on that one, I'll probably be in the area. If it works out a 1/2 day to the Monomoy Flats may be in order.