Nantucket 8/24 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nantucket 8/24

shane
08-24-2001, 06:51 PM
We have entered into our summer slump off the beach out here on the island this week, unless you really enjoy catching snapper blues, and then things have been great they can be gotten anywhere. I spent a lot of time on the beaches this week for a total of one bluefish, and that was taken at the furthest extent on a spin cast this morning. My personal theory is that the water is so warm and there is so much bait around that the fish are either down deep or so spread out that they can't be targetted, you just get them as they cruise by. There have also been rumors of stripers along the south shore at sunrise and sunset but you had to work for them and be patient to get them. Enough about the mid summer blues, get ready for albie season, they are due to arrive in numbers soon. I've heard of one taken out off Great Point by boat, and a few others seen but not caught off the west end.
On the other hand, the boats have been doing really well, with a few double digit Bonito days on the incoming tide. Stripers on the flats and in the rips on the west end, and bluefish along the south shore and east side of the island. A slam is not that hard to pull off from a boat right now, that would be a Bonito, Bluefish, and Striped Bass in a day. All I can say is keep trying out there, there are still fish to be caught, and wait till the albies hit...

juro
08-25-2001, 02:42 AM
Thank you Shane, your reports speak volumes toward figuring out the trends of late summer on the islands. Double digit bonito days... >sigh<

Note to self.... get yer ass out to the island after mid-August!