Licking my wounds [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Licking my wounds

Dble Haul
09-08-2001, 09:32 PM
Well, the Connecticut coast still has an abundance of snapper blues around. I couldn't keep them off the hook today, even when I was throwing rather large flies. I have to admit, I do admire their commitment to following through on their actions. I did manage to get a couple larger (22") blues, and lost two very large fish that I had a hard time handling with my 9 weight. What were they? Well, they hit like stripers, they ran and shook like stripers, and my large arbor's drag system was singing the striper song! To make matters worse, the second large fish was lost because of a poorly tied knot. After so many seasons on the water, I'm completely disappointed with myself on this. I should know better.

Oh yes, the locations were the causeway in Old Saybrook, the mouth of the Lieutenant River, and Jordan's Cove in Niantic (this is where the big boys got away).

I'll get 'em next time. :-)

Mark

Roop
09-09-2001, 07:04 AM
Better to have loved and lost??

Doesn't quite sooth the sting does it.

If it helps, I changed my leader set up a few weeks ago, went back to buying the fancy stuff instead of the Walmart ingredients that had been working so well for me. Had some very painful knot tying lessons re-learned.

I'm still trying to convince myself that this tapered leader is more effective than a section of 12# fluorocarbon.

Roop

Dble Haul
09-09-2001, 02:37 PM
Roop- Wish that I could blame it on some Walmart materials, but this knot was tied with 20# Orvis big game tippet. This stuff is IGFA certified, so I can't blame the material. Thanks for the sympathy, though. ;-)

Mark