Alan Caolo at United Fly Tyers 9/6/01 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Alan Caolo at United Fly Tyers 9/6/01

JKMorrison
09-05-2001, 07:49 PM
Just a quick note to all that Alan Caolo will be doing a program on "Sight Fishing For Striped Bass" Thursday September 6th at United Fly Tyers in Burlington, MA. Fly Tying lessons begin at 7:00 and the program usually starts around 8:00. For more info feel free to e-mail me or visit http://www.unitedflytyers.org

-John Morrison

doogue
09-06-2001, 06:28 AM
I saw a similar presentation when Alan was at the Marlboro show. It was, hands down, the best fishing presentation that I have ever seen.

All of the Flats Rats out there should check it out.

-Mike

jared
09-06-2001, 10:40 AM
Hey Oscar --

see ya tonight!

--j

juro
09-06-2001, 12:34 PM
Damn! I'm working late tonight. Is there a scheduled time for the presentation? I might be able to take a break then...

jared
09-06-2001, 01:22 PM
Presentations generally begin around 8:15....

--j

striblue
09-06-2001, 03:23 PM
I will be there.. don't want to miss it. I think I saw him at Marlboro also... uses a sink tip or depth charge line on the flats.

juro
09-06-2001, 04:59 PM
Well that tells me that he understands one of the basic rules of flats presentation, if they aren't taking it pulling away then you have to get it below them, on the sand or down near it.

BTW - on Monomoy I use clear intermediates on most westside flats, sinking lines in certain spots. Same for South Beach inside flats.

On Brewster flats I use a sinking head or full sink line when sight fishing from a boat, but not from shore.

Therefore the intermediate clear line gets the lions share of time in the water. But there is really only one reason why I don't use a sinking line the majority of the time... it reduces the angle of presentation radically.

Try this sometime...

Go find a place where you can spot fish. Take a clear intermediate line and cast the line so that it clotheslines the fish. Watch how they react.

Now switch to the black sinking head. Cast the line so that the black head clotheslines the fish. Watch how they react.

Now if I could get a clear line to sink like a type III or type IV... I would be in heaven. I've often thought about painting the line a sand color, in fact I will give that a try before this season is over. Of course it will not last very long, but it would be a great experiment.

I just might be sending letters to manufacturers soon, who knows, camo sinking head lines?

juro
09-07-2001, 08:52 AM
NEver made it out of here in time last night... any revelations?

striblue
09-07-2001, 09:19 AM
Juro... it was a good meeting.. I asked the question on the lines.. He does use Intermediate but does want the fish looking down ..not up and if the presentation is made correctly.. i.e. the fly moving away from the path of the fish the dark line will not give it that close line effect. It might disturb other fish that are not the target of the cast if many are around. He explained that if you spot two fish swimming parallel to each other the cast should be to the front of the closest to you with twitching as it come in view of the fly. He speaks a lot about the effectiveness of the Merkin Crab pattern as well as another pattern he uses to imitate a fast swimming crab, which name escapes me for the moment. Casting to turning fish away from you will never draw a strike nor will a fly cast ahead but toward the swim lane. He has a new book out.

jared
09-07-2001, 09:36 AM
the fast swimming crab is a lady crab.

he also uses a modified merkin to represent baby flounder...

--j

juro
09-07-2001, 09:37 AM
Who am I to compare notes with the big dogs, but...

I would agree for the most part but I've frequently turned fish that were swimming away, hooked and landed them albeit it's not a high percentage. Turning them is a fairly high percentage though, and teasing these into the take is the key. You'll get more takes from fish swimming away using "unconventional" retrieves. Most anglers could benefit from expanding their retrieve styles IMHO.

You can use also the line to alter the direction the fly moves away from the fish by putting a bow in it with the current once the fish is past you. Greaseliners use line tension in current for steelhead all the time. A trout guy can steer a dry fly with line tension, etc. This works on the flats just fine. Setting the hook can be a challenge though, but those are problems that are much better to have than not!

I've also been able to on occasion bring the fly under the fish swimming away and have the fish turn and inhale the fly as it tried to pass underneath it.

On the other hand you could probably get a spring schoolie to hit anything fished any way!

juro
09-07-2001, 09:55 AM
BTW -

The best flounder fly I ever tied/used:

I once tied a tan crab with cloth and epoxy with speckles mixed in. It was a fairly productive crab fly, but the cloth didn't last and soon it was an epoxy with speckles fly. One day while fishing with a few guys on Brewster Flats, the fish were flashing and feeding but picky as hell. Jumed out of the boat for a while and there were baby flounder scurrying around. I tried everything in the box, and the fly that did them in...

the epoxy flounder "fly"! Figured it was the only thing that looked like a baby flounder and it worked.

Still working on a pattern for that...

jared
09-07-2001, 10:22 AM
the fast swimming crab is a lady crab.

he also uses a modified merkin to represent baby flounder...

--j

striblue
09-07-2001, 04:14 PM
Juro.. what! You are one of the big dogs... you can compare notes with anyone... Just be sure you mention me in your book someday.

juro
09-07-2001, 05:21 PM
Everyone's gets to be a big dog in their own backyard I guess. I am starting to feel pretty comfortable on the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge. I filled up a few Rip Ryder punch cards this season!