9/7 Manchester Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 9/7 Manchester Report

Lefty
09-07-2001, 08:09 AM
Grego and I decided to poke around Manchester last night. We met up on Singing beach. As I walked down the beach I stopped to talk to 2 guys bait fishing by sand spikes. I asked what they thought of this low tide?, one answered "doesn't matter, it's the only time I can get out of the house". Well that was my story too, you take what you can get. Anyway Singing beach had no bait and no action though we pounded it hard. Next up to Black and Whites. At Blacks (the northernmost of the 2 coves) there were a lot of silversides and that's it. On our way back through town I stopped for the 8 gallon of gas minimum for a free cup of Coffee to warm up (dang that water is getting cold). We checked out the park by the town pier and under a private pier lighting there was a sight. Lots of bunker- and an occsasional schoolie would come darting through crashing the bait. They would be pretty well illuminated when they smashed through. What a show. We casted our juvis into the occasional frey for not. So, we know where the bait is (like last year). When it moves out all hell will break loose. I imagine there is bait in Marblehead too and many other harbors on the No. Shore. Grego and I think we are a week or 2 early for the mahem.
I also was finally able to scout the boat ramp in Manchester. It seems friendly and inviting in the off season. Won't be long now.

Lefty

Nick
09-07-2001, 08:16 AM
Lefty,
You're getting me all excited for the fall on the North Shore. I love the 20 fish days before work. Great scouting, I'm saving up my sleep for at least a week then.

Nick

juro
09-07-2001, 08:26 AM
I have been privy to reports that there are big bass at Nahant. Cows on black eels at night, but it indicates that they are in the area. Determining bait behavior on the rocky protrusion that is Nahant and deciphering the striper's movements relative to tide currents during changes should be the key to hooking up on flies there.

Or you could just plain get lucky and find them smashing bait against the causeway as I have experienced once before.

Norm M
09-07-2001, 09:48 AM
The mayhem started a few days ago 25 miles north. Been out twice a day since Tues. and have had consistent action, even mid day. Most in the 22-24" range but several 30"+ mixed in. They are busting the surface and moving around pretty quickly, lucky to get a half dozen before they move on, but the chasing is great. 3-5" juve in olive and white has been a killer.

Norm

juro
09-07-2001, 09:51 AM
Gentlemen... start your engines!

grego
09-07-2001, 12:27 PM
>>several 30"+ mixed in. They are busting the surface and moving around pretty quickly, lucky to get a half dozen before they move on, but the chasing is great. 3-5" juve in olive and white has been a killer.<<

Yeah Baby!

Last Night was definately a "Pre-Jack"