the big one on an eight weight(but wait till ya hear how) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: the big one on an eight weight(but wait till ya hear how)

slabcandy
09-24-2001, 10:49 AM
hey, i live in brewster and this is my first post. ok here it is, I was fishing at stage light about 2 weeks ago, when their was an early morning high. i landed a couple just under size. then on a epoxy sand eel i caught a snapper blue. he was hooked fairly well from the bottom lip, so for some reason i thought what the hell. so with my 8 weight i lobbed the snapper blue out a little ways. well it drifted out and soon after line began to flow fast. i loosened the drag to running speed and let it go for a couple seconds and then cranked down on the drag and gave a couple hard strip sets. well i started loosing line fast so i tightend up a tiny bit more. it was a strong fish but i was able to head him toward the beach with the help of the out going current. then some guy crosses me with a kastmaster. so i had to tell him to just keep the slack out of the line. finally we got that squared away. i landed the fish. it was a 44 inch, 24 pound bass. well i thought some of you might find that amusing. nice to be apart of the group.

juro
09-24-2001, 11:04 AM
That's a monster, I'll be tying big snapper blue patterns for my next outing ;-)

I've had a similar experience but the fish never took the little blue. Sure had me anxious for 20 seconds while it scoped the situation out!

FredA
09-24-2001, 11:34 AM
Ton's of snappers all over. I was annoyed when I hooked one yesterday at Cold Storage. As I was leaving I stopped at a spot where I've had some success and snappers were all over the place. Tried to hook one for tying reference but could'nt.

Juro, you have a recipe? I'm thinking a Deciever type with a profile between mid (silverside) and wide body (bunker).

Fred A.

juro
09-24-2001, 12:25 PM
One of the biggest stripers I've ever hooked was using a large bigeye baitfish style fly when I spotted large fish chasing snapper blues on the southside. That was the same fall season when I had the big cow chaser on a hooked snapper blue. It rubbed me off on the end of the jetty that was 50 yards from where I hooked it on the last strip before casting again. Only difference between the Page Rogers original and that fly was that I omitted the leaf beneath the eye and used softex to form the head. The fly is in the archive under "juvie".