RhodyFest gear and food [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RhodyFest gear and food

Hawkeye
09-27-2001, 08:24 AM
OK, here's what we've got and need so far. Needs, plans, etc. will also be affected by where we decide "home base" will be (for instance - lighting up briquets for cobbler wont go over so well in a hotel room.) so that decision should be made soon. I'll vote for the campground/campfire setting - I like it more but I admit its a bit selfish since that's where I'll be staying. :)

Remaining needs have a double asterix and would be nice items have a single.

Dinner:
* Pre-meal munchies: chips & dips (done – fliboy), veggies and dip (done - Quentin), other stuff welcome of course.
A couple of main dish type things – chili (done – fliboy), Jambalaya or Gumbo (done - FredA), stew, kabobs, steak-tips (done - GregO), fish , etc.....
* Desert things: cobbler (done - hawkeye), cookies, etc....
* Some side dish things - potatoes (done - novice), Heat the hut beans (done – JimW), rice pilaf, zatarans, vegies, salad, bread (done - Quentin), etc....
Brunch (convenient to camp breakdown):
** Your basic brunch things – O.J. (done – JimW), eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns (done - Quentin), pancakes, etc...
** Coffee
Other needs:
** Stoves - 4 burners (3 burners by JimW)
Grill (done – Juro, JimW, GregO)
Cooking utensils (done – JimW)
Pots/pans (done – JimW)
Clean up items - towels, soap, scrubbers (done – Juro, fliboy)
Plastic utensils (done – Juro)
** Disposable plates/cups (plates done – Juro)
Trash bags (done – JimW)
Coolers/ice (done – Juro)
Tables (done – Juro)
** Lanterns (could use more– Juro)
* Pogie oil (done – Juro and likely others)
Large tarp (done – Juro)
First aid (We should all have this)
* Firewood (a little - hawkeye, JimW, Chuck?)

FredA
09-27-2001, 08:41 AM
I'll make a up a bucket of something, Jambalaya or Gumbo.

Fred A.

Lefty
09-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Sorry to not have grabbed something to help out. I have to play this one close to the bone with the big boss. Fishing patience is low, kids new school routines are heavy. Like last year I'll break away if I can and shoot down there. Nice work Hawkeye.

Lefty

grego
09-27-2001, 10:35 AM
I'll definately Bring my Grill & Tips (amount based on head count)

I can also bring my 100,000 BTU LP Burner, If it is needed?

Quentin
09-27-2001, 10:59 AM
Dinner at the campsite seems more "traditional", but having the option to move indoors and having access to conventional ovens is good too. Also, food prep and cleanup may be easier in the hotel if they have decent kitchens. Gee, do ya think they'd let us build a campfire on the beach? ;)

I will bring some bread and veggies & dip for dinner. Will do home fries for brunch.

Q

JimW
09-27-2001, 11:18 AM
Gregg, Nice job with the list. I can bring some wood for the campfire and I think Chuck will come through in a big way.
Grego, The afterburner would be sweet for boiling water if we decide to have the meal at camp. (for cleanup water, thawing out frozen waders, etc...)

Quentin, The fire on the beach sounds like a good idea. I wonder if we could get away with it? There is also the issue of public pogie oil consumption.

juro
09-27-2001, 11:35 AM
Quentin's such a great guy - someone's gonna have to convert this man from the 'dark side' ;-) ;-)

Maybe we can get the fly casting lessons in this year! Might have Capt.Todd around too, not definite yet. I'll bring a spare 9wt you can keep thru the rest of the season, although I do not have a spare reel.

Quentin (09-27-2001 10:59 a.m.):
Dinner at the campsite seems more "traditional", but having the option to move indoors and having access to conventional ovens is good too. Also, food prep and cleanup may be easier in the hotel if they have decent kitchens. Gee, do ya think they'd let us build a campfire on the beach? ;)

I will bring some bread and veggies & dip for dinner. Will do home fries for brunch.

Q

Quentin
09-27-2001, 12:28 PM
juro (09-27-2001 11:35 a.m.):
Quentin's such a great guy - someone's gonna have to convert this man from the 'dark side' ;-) ;-)

Maybe we can get the fly casting lessons in this year!

Thanks Juro :)
I'd love to give it a try but don't worry about using up valuable "clave time" to do casting lessons. If it works out -- great! I know I would enjoy flyfishing and I like to think that I would be pretty good at it. Still, I'm not sure if I can ever be converted completely ;-)
Q

grego
09-27-2001, 12:59 PM
I wonder if the Motel would/could give us permission to do the cookout on the beach in fron of their property??

juro
09-27-2001, 01:04 PM
I've always dreamed about a forum clambake... anyone know how?

grego
09-27-2001, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but not willing to give up 6-8 hours of Fishing!

JimW
09-27-2001, 01:47 PM
I've seen it done in a backyard, dirt not sand. I was less than impressed with the results. The pit, rocks, fire, rockweed deal I assume is something the native americans came up with because they did not have a big aluminum pot with a 100,000btu burner. Make sure there are no embers or ash left in the rocks unless you want that wood fire taste in your lobsters, clams, reds, and corn. The idea is to heat up the rocks and sandwich the goodies, that are in burlap bags, between layers of rockweed. The rockweed has capsules that burst under the heat and release moisture to add to the steam produced. There's probably more to it than what I know and if it were done right it's probably great, but it's alot of work. I'd go the steam in a big pot route.

grego
09-27-2001, 01:57 PM
I'm with Jim, Clam Boils are Better & Easier then clam Bakes. If done Properly, a clam back can be really good, but I've been to as many Not Good as Good. Years Ago, the Guys at the Bourne FD used to do a pretty good one.

juro
09-27-2001, 03:07 PM
Just a thought. Sounds way too complicated.

I like the idea of doing a cook out on the beach at the hotel!

JimW
09-28-2001, 05:26 PM
If there are a significant number of people staying at the hotel it probably makes more sense to have the cookout there. Burlingame charges a visitors fee and you can't beat the ocean for scenery. My 3 burners are attached to the camper but it should not be an issue if the hotel rooms are equipped with cooktops.
Gregg, What about the cobbler, assuming you guys are planning on it. The dutch oven rules, do you think a small charcoal fire on the beach would be doable?

I can see it all now.
A little salsa & chips
Take a few casts
Some pasta salad
Take a few casts
Some steaktips
Take a few casts Oh....ZING.... I'm ON! Save me some cobbler.......................

fliboy
09-29-2001, 06:20 PM
Juro - do you have a block of rooms reserved or do I call myself? I'd be looking for someone else to pair up with.

Dave

GregD
09-30-2001, 09:54 AM
I unfortunately have a commitment for saturday night and can't make it for camping. Look's like we'll have to be day trippers if I can't pull off Sunday night camping with monday off work. Brandon and I were looking forward to another clave, pactically the last shot at these fish for the year. Unless the Carolina Clave becomes a reality this year.

Greg.

juro
09-30-2001, 10:08 AM
Dave -

No we should coordinate rooms and the signup will go up today. Sorry - had a lot going on with family lately and I needed to be around.

GregD -

Carolina is a green light, with airfares being so low we ought to book now. I plan to make it my one trip in Nov. We have at least 6 or more folks with direct experience to tap on this first run in 2001.

GregD
09-30-2001, 12:35 PM
A green light on the Carolina Clave this year! That's great! too bad I'm I just joined the ranks of the unemployed. Although I think I could do the trip without spending a fortune. Being unempoyed it would be tough to convice the wife to let me go fishing on the cape let alone the Carolinas. I suppose if I got three guys to split the cost of driving down, trailer the boat and camp at the KOA it wouldn't cost much that way. I'd have to be working before making a commitment to go. I have a co-worker who just moved down there and he too would probably want to join the group for some fishing. Perhaps I'll hook up with a decent
contract before it's too late to join the Carolina Clave.

Is there a tenative target date?

Sounds like fun...

Greg.

Roop
10-01-2001, 07:24 AM
Just got the OK, sorry for being late to the dance.

A. I will camp or crash at the hotel, let me know which has the most people. That's where I'd prefer to go.

B. I'll bring my 2 burner stove top, some more plates, cups, trash bags, coffee & sugar...

juro
10-01-2001, 07:33 AM
Roop -

I can assume the camp will have more people due to cost savings but at this time they are about even. I will need to know which way people are going to go ahead of time for obvious reasons. So to answer the question, assume camp will have more people but we should have at least 3-4 rooms at the Sandy Shores if not more.

Hey Art - is this place worth staying at or should we look for another place? It's the Sandy Shores on Misquamicut. Most of the rooms we're looking at put people in separate rooms, these have kitchens and are right on the beach. Don't go out of your way but I thought I'd ask just in case you were familiar with the place.

artb
10-01-2001, 09:06 PM
I have never been in Sandy Shores, It is directly on the water, between Watch Hill Beach, and Andrea Hotel, which has a light on for night fishing. I don't think that a fire is allowed on the beach. Sandy Shores is a huge place. I would think that one of the smaller places couldbe had cheaper, but I don't realy know. I wish I had the time to check although it is kind of late for that. I had been waiting for replies to some of my ideas, non forth coming. I am posting another about Beach Permits, you can take it from there.