Rhody Slam... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhody Slam...

jeffg
09-24-2001, 08:59 AM
...of a very interesting sort.

Had the pleasure of fishing with Capt. Ray on Cast-a-fly yesterday down in RI. I was down for (yet another) wedding and he conveniently had a cancellation timed perfectly for me Sunday morning. We left Pt. Judith under cover of darkness, cleared the wall around 6:00 and crept out to a favorite spot of Ray's in flat calm seas and light fog.

Ray was busy explaining the need for my buddy Ben and I to get the skunk off early so we could have a low pressure trip and not worry about catching, and I think I obliged. First cast on an 8 wt yielded a 35" fish; second cast produced its twin brother or sister. Ray and I are pretty happy with each other at this point! Both were beautiful fish, with nice dark rocky habitat colors showing (will post picture if I can figure out how...), and released as usual.

But, being the guy that he is, I am treated to Ray's unique Stachelek Slam over the next 30 minutes as I hook, boat and release several scup, a snapper blue and a black sea bass! OK, so it's not a tunoid slam, but it would have made a mean fish fry and was the first time in maybe the last five years that I've added to new species to my "fly-caught" list in a single day.

As the sun eventually burned through the fog, the action slowed a little. We tried to get some shots at albies, but they were not in a cooperative mood, showing themselves only occasionally in ones and twos, no feeding blitzes.

Hadn't fished the Rhody coast by boat in four years or so, and it was a beautiful and fishy as I remember. Capt. Ray was an excellent host, and his 20' whaler is a great fishing platform, removing all of my previous bad memories of wet, back breaking days on my 13 footer from my youth.

Things look pretty keyed up for the Rhody Clave, and as long as it's NOT the 13, I hope to make it!

Jeff

p.s. how do I post a jpeg?

juro
09-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Awesome report! Nothing like getting a hot report nearly everyday during lunch break, gotta love it. Sounds like you had a great ride on the Capt.Ray "chariot".

You can either email me the jpeg or if you have it hosted somewhere just point to the URL after \[img=

RayStachelek
09-24-2001, 01:53 PM
jeffg (aka Jeff Ganguly) recently did some covert reconnaissance information gathering in Rhode Island last Sunday. What's he's really doing is trying to get the jump on the rest of us and grab up all the honey holes. Information is power, Jeff proclaimed. Than why doesn't my boat go faster when I explain theories to it?

Best bet would be to stay near Jeff during the weekend of the Rhody Clave and shadow his every move.
"http://www.castaflycharters.com/images/jeffganguly_sm.jpg"
Jeff Ganguly with a nice Rhody shore bass caught on a Clouser fly.

Lefty
09-24-2001, 02:52 PM
Hey Ray,
How do you catch a "shore" bass in a boat? 8-)

Lefty

juro
09-24-2001, 03:09 PM
Awesome bass Jeff! Nice job Ray.

I see what you mean about the coloration, bright and beautiful. Rhodyfest here we come!

RayStachelek
09-25-2001, 08:06 AM
Lefty (09-24-2001 03:52 p.m.):
Hey Ray,
How do you catch a "shore" bass in a boat? 8-)

Lefty

We got shipwrecked and bottomed out on a rock. Is that concidered a shore bass under those conditions?

Obviously, what was meant that we were fishing for bass along the shore. ;)

jborkowski
09-25-2001, 12:30 PM
Nice Fishy.

Too bad for me all Jeffs don't fish alike.