East End Albie! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: East End Albie!

Quentin
09-26-2001, 11:52 PM
Tried the afternoon/evening shift at the east end of the canal and fished for a couple hours without success. I saw fish breaking sporadically, although they never got close enough for me to cast to them or even ID them. I got tired of casting into the wind so I went over to the opposite side of the canal. A fish splashed pretty close to me but still out of range. I casted my lure anyway and it landed well short of the fish, but I hooked up almost immediately. Five seconds later I was running down the jetty trying to regain some line. The fish was still taking line as I jumped from rock to rock while trying to tighten the drag and reel in my line. I thought I had hooked up with a nice striper or blue, but when I finally got the fish in it turned out to be an albie -- my first one this year! Woohoo! I also managed to get a couple of schoolies but couldn't complete the slam. Pesky snappers are never around when you need one! All fish were caught on a 3" sluggo on a 1/8 oz jighead (I was using my light weight spinning rod). I got the albie just before high slack, about 1/2 hour before sunset. I didn't see anymore splashes after that. Wonder if the breaking fish I saw earlier were albies too, or maybe it was just that one fish cruising around in the end of the canal.

Lefty
09-27-2001, 08:23 AM
Nice one Q. How many lb test on that reel?

Lefty

Quentin
09-27-2001, 08:57 AM
Lefty,
The line on that outfit is supposedly 10# test, but probably tests out at more like 14. I also tie on a short 20# leader to help with landing the fish. What had me worried was that the fish was running down-current right along the jetty towards another fisherman, and I was afraid I would get cut off on a rock or that the other guy would snag my line. Luckily the tide wasn't really ripping. I was also glad that the jetty on that side (Cape side) is pretty flat and had lots of places to get to the water.

Hawkeye
09-27-2001, 09:37 AM
Way to go Quentin! I saw an albie yesterday morning near the Sag. bridge. I don't understand why he didn't want my 3oz jig? And by the way it's really hard to cast one of those with a 10wt. ;)

juro
09-27-2001, 10:27 AM
That's it! The lead detector alarm has gone off... I'm gonna have to shut this thread down, someone get a floating double taper and some bamboo QUICK! }>

ssully
09-27-2001, 12:04 PM
Sheeat the only thang this here thread's a missin is a bucket'o'eels.

Way to go Q! Any albie is a good one.

juro
09-27-2001, 02:01 PM
The albie's merit was never in question; and brother Quentin's success was thoroughly savored. A joke means nothing more than a joke; two in this case. But now that it's brought to light should a flyfishing site be a flyfishing site - or just claim to be one?

Even if this is really a flyfishing site, the broader topic of "jus' fishing" is certainly welcome, in fact topics reaching far beyond fishing are too as long as they are suitable for family consumption and have some redeeming value.

Having thought that through right now, I guess the one thing that makes this site a flyfishing site (hence the name) is that jokes about conventional fishing are fair game.

slabcandy
09-27-2001, 03:03 PM
hey i was chunk fishing the other day with 40 lb. test and a thirteen foot surfrod and guthooked a schoolie.
just kidding

Quentin
09-27-2001, 03:29 PM
juro (09-27-2001 03:01 p.m.):
I guess the one thing that makes this site a flyfishing site (hence the name) is that jokes about conventional fishing are fair game.

I have no problem with that! I can take a dig or two, especially from a fellow slug-slinger ;P

Seriously though, I do understand that this is a flyfishing site and will respect your efforts (and right) to keep it that way. I post reports here because I figure that my observations and results as a shorebound, light-tackle spin fisherman provide information that is applicable to flyfishing. The reverse is certainly true. I know I've learned a lot from you guys!

Q

juro
09-27-2001, 03:57 PM
I'd like to add that you are a great guy and I enjoy fishing and hanging out with you at get togethers, so in the end that's all that really counts!

Look forward to seeing you at Rhody.

grego
09-28-2001, 09:41 AM
Q,

That's a pretty Rare Catch!

Fish On! Congrats!