9/23, Chatham, Bayside Flats [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 9/23, Chatham, Bayside Flats

09-23-2001, 06:44 PM
Hit Chatham light and made my way down South Beach in the fog. Felt, looked and smelled fishy but dead as a doornail. Went down to the refuge to see if I could get over to Monomoy but the fog was hanging in. Got to Robbons Hill at just about slack low. Also dead. Just sited a couple of rats. Went to Cold Storage for the flood and possible visuals. Lots of snapper blues. Saw one schoolie at the aquarium.

Today I reaffirmed my dislike for the fall run. Its so damn hit or miss that if you can't get out at least three or four times a week, more often than not, you'll be frustrated. But it beats yard work.

Fred A

By the way. where the hell is everyone

09-23-2001, 08:23 PM
Fred, I will see you next Saturday... Let's try South Beach on the ebb... walk down to the end of South Beach also.

09-24-2001, 12:18 AM
Saturday yakattack...
'fished some swell sand bars on the outgoing with Mike D. and Jeff R. and we all left smelling of the skunk...dead as South Beach...even tried inside/outside of point Nauset where Jeff tangled with a few mice...on the way back across the channel, got some waves in the face just for fun and to validate the expense of the skirt that helps keep the water on the outside of the boat...
(but not necessarily out of the waders)...
All told, it was good therapy! (despite the nasty smell...)

09-24-2001, 06:08 AM
I am thinking getting a group to do North tip of south Monomoy.. or shuttle to South Beach and walk to the tip...or final rip trip... this coming weekend...full day... Any takers?

09-24-2001, 06:41 AM
After fishing with Pete and Roop (where I did shed the skunk - 2 schoolies from a little hole I found last time I was there) I headed to Minister's Point with Jeff Borkowski. We fished there for a little while with nothing to show for it. The place was dead. We did not even tangle with any of the blues that were reported to be all over Pleasant Bay.

We went to Harding's Beach and contemplated a march to Stage Harbor (albies?) but with the strong south/southwest wind we opted for a trip to the Red River. We fished the jetties (wind at our backs made for long casts) but again - nada. It was so dead that we passed up a very generous offer to stay at the Yarmouth Anglers Club and went back to Boston for the night. The plan was to fish Plum Island the next day and see if the North Shore was fishing well.

Arrived at PI at around 9 AM and fished the party boats to the sandbar. I worked the sandbar for an hour or so and caught squat. Then we fished from the sandbar to the jetty and I caught one little schoolie. Lots of people fishing - few catching.

I will start carrying a few sportsmanship posters in my pack - that is all that I will say. Just how long will people look at a schoolie gasp for breath until they throw it back in the water? Terrible.

Go find the fish! I want to know where they are....