Fly Fishing Forum banner

2 $400 flight vouchers, where to go on budget w/ wife & bonefish?

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SouthEastNC 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi y'all. Due to some travel mishaps, American Airlines has awarded my wife and I with 2 $400 flight vouchers. We live in NC, so would probably be flying out of RDU, connecting in Miami to head to our destination.

My question - if you had $400 to spend on a flight and wanted to stay/eat/live on a budget for a week with your wife and also go chase bones a day or two, where would you go? Planning on using Chase Credit Card points for our lodging, want somewhere with a low cost of living so there are cheap local places to eat, and also less-expensive guides. I'd like to go somewhere where I can fish with a guide one day for less than $400, and go back another day for a couple of hours to wade-fish on my own. Or no guide and just wade-fish a couple days.

My wife is pretty cool, she doesn't need a spa. She'll probably drink rum-punches and read while I'm fishing.

My bonefishing experience is on Ambergris Caye (guided), Silk Cayes (wading solo), and Abacos (wading solo). I found the Abacos to be very expensive since they have to import so much stuff.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
From a little research this morning, flying into Cancun and staying down around Tulum so I can fish Ascension Bay a day or two is sounding like a good idea. Just spoke with a guide there that some folks have recommended. $300 before tip for 8 hours. Flying into Cancun sure is cheaper than flying into Belize, and that rate for the guide is a lot less than what I found in the Abacos.

#3 ·
I did 2 full days in Cozumel for bonefish for $250 a day plus tip. Awesome amount of fish and never once did I see another angler. The north end of the island has secluded shallow bays. Lots of villas and hotels to choose from away from the typical all inclusive. Best times are April May and there's a farir amount of permit and small tarpon mixed in on the deeper flats. The cudas were a pain out deeper

If you contact Alberto at Bonefishcozumel they might even have recommendations on rooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.