Newsflash: Outer Beach Lady ain't Singin' [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Newsflash: Outer Beach Lady ain't Singin'

Newsflash
10-05-2001, 01:28 PM
Check in with our sponsor Harry Koons of Nauset Angler for the latest insights on the outer beaches. Let's just say the fat lady is far from belting out the high note on the backside beaches!

http://nausetangler.com/

BTW - Who's that dude with the 37" Monomoy Blondie?

JimW
10-05-2001, 02:45 PM
Hey Rich D. !!!!

Where's that Koons shore charter gift certificate??????

When are we going?????

Nick
10-05-2001, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I figured he might like to use it. I was hoping he'd give the crazy photographer some credits ;-)

juro
10-05-2001, 05:12 PM
First cast, 37" mid-day high sun, flooding tide, two feet of water... Nick that was a memory I'll never forget. The way it all happened was funny. I was excited to be dragging Nick out to sight fish Monomoy, although he wasn't in any way against it. Roop and John had to get back to real life after a good morning involving several first light legals on the outside beaches. If I am not mistaken it was Nick's first time sight fishing on Monomoy. Anything we could find was a plus for an already productive morning as we boarded the Rip Ryder.

We were walking past a flat I always get fish on that most ignore. In fact I am saying "Nick - I always find fish on this flat but everyone just ignores it" then hold on... shadows shifting, barely visible but out of the cadence of the wave shadows, I tell Nick to tie on a flats special and step up the shore while I keep the location in my sight to get the right swing in the current... he places that easy, long baseball pitcher's cast of his in precisely the right spot and the fly comes perfectly into position, then flash >WHAM<.... hundreds of feet of backing gone... nice fish running for the edge of the flat with Nick in tow! After an epic battle the gorgeous blondie comes to hand, with a quick snapshot the fish returns to it's business of hunting morsels on the Monomoy sand.

First time sight fishing Monomoy, first cast, 37". Amazing!

The rest of the day was awesome too, except for that guy who thought he should lowhole us and wade right onto the middle of the channel where all our fish were coming from. If he stood back we would have all had plenty of shots but no entrance onto a flat, no fish, no shots!

I also remember that solo keeper that come up just before that guy shut the door on us on the inside common flats... we spotted it, you placed it, he saw it, he ate it... just like you read about in the big magazines.

A classic day on the water, one to remember for sure. I look forward to many, many more.