I Get Lectured About Carrying A Second Rod... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I Get Lectured About Carrying A Second Rod...

NrthFrk16
09-28-2001, 01:34 AM
because its suppose to be a pain in the butt and a hassle. I then open up the latest issue of Flyfishing in Saltwaters and see a fisher carrying a step ladder around the flats on Monomoy Island. And that is not a hassle?!?!

Whats up with that??? ;)

doogue
09-28-2001, 07:19 AM
You know, carrying a spare 5 piece rod wouldn't be much of a hassle if you were clever and made a sling for it or something. Anybody know of a decent 5 piece rod (emergency rod)
for less than $200?

Just curious...

MarkDoogue
09-28-2001, 07:41 AM
Brother,

Have you not learned by now that for such matters you need only call the house?

Here (http://www.redington.com/wayfarer_html.htm) is the rod that you seek.

~Mark

Tod D
09-28-2001, 08:41 AM
LLBean also has a six piece (I think) traveller series. Seem to recall prices starting at $179 - though I suspect that's for lower line weights.

Nick
09-28-2001, 08:53 AM
And remember that a six piece rod can be broken in half while a 5 piece always stays uneven.

Nick

John Desjardins
09-28-2001, 09:41 AM
I have an $80 Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece, 9' 6 wt that's a reasonable rod. For the salt though I would not want the grip or reel seat that it has on it. Something like an archers quiver would easily hold a spare 5 or 6 piece rod on the water. On plane flights I've just lashed the rod to my knapsack.

I agree with Nick on the 6 versus 5 piece for easy stowage.

grego
09-28-2001, 10:17 AM
Redington Wayfarer 5-piece 8-wgt

Lefty
09-28-2001, 10:26 AM
How about keeping a spare in your vehicle? And on Rip Trips and such have have one guy in the group designated as the back up rod carrier. Do broken rods really happen often enough to be an issue?

Lefty

Hawkeye
09-28-2001, 02:52 PM
I know a guy who broke two rods on one weekend clave. Maybe we should carry two spares. :) Personally I don't think its worth the hassle to go any further than a spare in the car or boat.

juro
09-28-2001, 06:04 PM
You can't fish with two rods, but you can fish really well from a stepladder!

Here's the deal - an extra rod stays on the bank when you work a stretch, and requires that you double back to fetch. Another angler would have covered twice the water in the same time... unless he breaks his only rod, a rare occurrence overall.

The ladder goes where the angler goes, thus there is no double-back fetching, just a stand in the water from where you see more fish. As a shore guide, I see why the other shore guides use them on Monomoy. It helps you see more fish for your clients. I will be using my stepladder when I guide on the flats next year.

You need to come sample the striper fishery Ryan!

Roop
09-29-2001, 10:50 AM
A. I'd never broken a fly rod until I started bragging that I hadn't. Then broke 2 within 3 days.

B. Now that I am using a kayak to access tidal areas, I always bring a spare.

C. My rods are all 2 piece. Future purchases will be travel rods - definitely an advantage.

slabcandy
09-29-2001, 12:56 PM
if ya feel the need, you can fit a 3 piece in an average sized back pack, and every thing else too. ---- a horse would solve everything. saddle bag rod holders, and no need for the step ladder! weight capasity on the ripryder?