Chatham, 10/6, 10/7 AM [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham, 10/6, 10/7 AM

FredA
10-08-2001, 07:56 AM
Stole a few hours Saturday an Sunday morning and hit the light. Pretty quite while I was there. Wind was a pain Saturday. Saw a few fish taken at the point and had a couple of hits but otherwise a typical skunken. Saw Bob P. who had been there Friday night with Roop. Apparently Jeff had a nice fish or two - so what else is new.

Sunday I picked up a schoolie right away and thought, maybe I'd have a good morning. But that was it. Worked my way out to the outer bars and back and felt not a tug. Nice morning though and the wind had layed down.

Fred A.

striblue
10-08-2001, 09:47 AM
Well, atleast you got out... I know everyone will be at RI next weekend but I will be doing a Friday night Saturday morning trip to the lighthouse and then ,hopefully on the rip rider to the north tip of South Monomoy or just south beach. Stayed home this weekend and have to work today.. But tied some nice flies this weekend including some angel hair assorted bait fish by the Mike Martinek style I saw at the UFT.. a great profile and not as messy to tie.. also.. much stonger than the usual way to tie.

bcasey
10-08-2001, 05:08 PM
Hi John, Looks like I won't be making it to RI next WE as well, the wife is on call at work so I'll be hangin with the kids. But friday nite is possible. Lets talk towards the end of the week, maybe we can give those festers a little competition.

Bob Pink
10-08-2001, 05:32 PM
Good seeing you too Fred. Jeff & I hit it HARD on Friday night and Jeff did pick up one nice fish while I went 0 fer Friday & Saturday.... Nice 'eh? Oh well it wasn't for lack of trying. There was one guy in the bowl that was hitting consistant fish with a 5 -6" pearl white bomber long A but I was ONCE AGAIN too damn stubborn and stuck with the long wand. Nice working on those new casting techniques, toss up into the wind and hang on ;-)

striblue
10-08-2001, 05:45 PM
Case, that sounds good to me ..I will keep in touch thoughout the week.

FredA
10-08-2001, 06:15 PM
Bob,
It seems schoolies were there to be had in the bowl both Saturday and Sunday. One guy was hooking up pretty consistantly by, what appeared to be, intently jigging a Clouser. Ah but the outer bars call.

Casting was interesting Saturday. Frankly, I'm going to have to spring for some lessons in the spring. I've thrown the chuck and duck far too much this summer, my mechanics are all screwed up and I've had a sore elbow for a few weeks - not good. I could blame it on the new rod (faster) but I don't think so.

Brian - sorry I missed you Sunday.

Fred A.

nausetangler
10-08-2001, 06:17 PM
Bob -

I saw you in the 'room' next to Powers at the Chatham light hotel, didn't have the heart to wake you guys to say hello. We hit Nauset from Orleans down to the inlet, beat ourselves to a pulp in that wind and surf. So much potential, so little probability - fall fishing allright.

Bob Pink
10-08-2001, 07:43 PM
Well Harry, there was plenty of room at the 'inn' that night. When I came up ther stairs at about 2:30 Roop had already split and I had the place to myself ( another sign that you are in the wrong place at the wrong time ! ). I just get settled into the passenger seat when Powers is knocking on the window and observing the irony of getting there at 3:00am and he knows the only other person in the lot....

tomd
10-09-2001, 08:46 AM
hey John, I wish I had made it up to see mike tie with that stuff... something came up at the last minute , so I couldn't make UFT. any chance of you doing a step by step on those fies( the method)??? Tom D

striblue
10-09-2001, 09:16 AM
Tom, sure, I would be glad to show it to you... Makes the job easier.. less waste... stronger fly... and great profile...tied in clumps... picked with bodkin and combed out with a brush... I will e-mail you the specifics.

Lefty
10-09-2001, 09:36 AM
John,
Doing a speed-read scan of this thread and I'm not seeing the usual "bla bla bla 35"... boring text then 36"..more text to skip 38" first cast...more text etc etc." Looks like the big lady is warming up to sing yous a tune out there. Sorry to hear it buddy. Maybe I speak to my connections and get you into Singing Beach for a morning. ;-)
Glad the big bamboo looks nice out there.

Lefty

striblue
10-09-2001, 09:47 AM
Terry... I would love to do Singing beach some morning..soon.. By the way I will be in Chatham this Saturday to bla bla bla. a 34", then went to bla ,bla ,bla a 36". The season is not over... stand by for report Saturday night!!!! Probably some exotoids will be in the mix... north tip of south monomoy.. at the channel... I got that feeling!!!! Can you feel it to..Terry?