boat for the RhodyFest? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: boat for the RhodyFest?

Hawkeye
10-01-2001, 01:07 PM
Any thoughts on the need/desire for boating oportunities. I guess I'm asking whether I should bring the boat or not.

grego
10-01-2001, 01:50 PM
Gregg,

I was thinking the same thing.

But, it would change the Nature of the Rhody Clave. Who will make the Napatree death march? Who will fish the Breahways & Estuaries at Charlestown & the other two (that I can niether pronounce nor spell!)?

juro
10-01-2001, 02:25 PM
The area from Napatree and Stonington CT to the south and southwest are outrageous fishing areas, the reefs, Fisher's, etc. Westerly would be far more productive with than without and a missed opportunity if only fished from shore IMHO.

As far as the breachways and the open surf to the east - Weekapaug, Charlestown, etc... not worth the risk IMHO.

JimW
10-01-2001, 02:26 PM
I think there may be a fair number of boats this year. Remember last year there was a boating portion to the weekend but we still made the march to Napatree point. I also remember that when we got to the point those who were in boats were doing quite well just 3 casts away. Boat, kayak, oversand sticker, etc... I'll still plan on making the trek out to the point on foot, seems like part of the tradition. Another memory is the guy who was leaving as we were arriving, from what I heard he had a very good morning from shore out on the point. I would like to be 'out there' pre dawn this year. Having boat crews would be great even if everyone doesn't get to go, it certainly increases the odds of striper marinara. I have no problem being shore bound.

juro
10-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Jim -

Are you talking about that 30#'er being dragged out in 1998 -or- another such occurrence in 2000?

JimW
10-01-2001, 02:57 PM
I think it was '99' and I did not see it myself but heard the rumblings. Later that morning I was talking to an older/wiser type on the beach who said he'd done quite well at dawn. He was fishing a black deciever in the suds. I just figure it's like some many other places where dawn and dusk rule. IMHO you can't beat watching the stars fade to sunrise. You can always take a siesta mid-day.

2000 was shad & shoolieville, at least for me. For Capt. Ray it was Bonitoville.