10/2 - Twinkies at Napatree [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 10/2 - Twinkies at Napatree

Quentin
10-03-2001, 10:30 AM
I tried RI again yesterday. Managed to get some small stripers (smallest of the year for me) at Napatree at dawn and dusk, but couldn't catch anything else all day. While I was at Weekapaug a good-sized blitz developed off the point to the east of the breachway. It was somewhat reminiscent of RhodyFest 1999, but the fish never moved in to the beach. There were also some fish showing along Napatree Beach in the morning. They were pretty close (just out of casting range) and were moving quickly along the beach. Sounds like things are definitely better from a boat (see Cman's Napatree report!)
Q

juro
10-03-2001, 02:30 PM
I'm hearing good reports about the south sound area on the cape still, hopefully this only means you were between migrating pods and we are in for a treat next weekend!

THanks for the report.

artb
10-03-2001, 09:52 PM
Things are about peak in my opinion. My son had a charter today to Montaup. They limited out on 34 to 38 in. fish. Large blues galore. He also told me that his buddy was fishing Watch Hill from his boat, plenty of False Albacore, and school bass. I hope things hold till the 13th, and 14th. I hope to go down again Friday. Its hard to figure the tide as moon, wind, swells cause a large variation in time. Monday inside the Weekapaug Breachway the tide was high at about noon, the chart for Newport was 8:47AM. I still haven't been able tofigure inside the breachways yet.