Venice Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Venice Report

doogue
10-26-2001, 05:44 AM
Men,

Jusy FYI - the anchovies are all over the Venice canals. I also witnessed a blitz on my way out to Murano Island yesterday. Italy's fishing season is not over yet. I also witnessed a sortie of boats fishing between the 2 piers that lead out to the adriatic last night. I should have brought my new 5 piece RPLXi here with me (returning my 10 weight Winston - not the rod for me).

Alas, I am on the tail end of my honeymoon here in Italy and I just checked the board for the first time in weeks. Sounds like the late fall has treated you all well. Let's hope that there are a few more 30" cows left for you all this season. I cut my season short but she is definitely worth it. I was just teaching her how to spot schools of anchovies and I gave her a lesson on why polarized glasses are a must for this game. Just getting her ready for next season.

See you all soon and I thank you all for a great season. It was incredible.

Later...

Mike

P.S. Jeff Borkowski...did I hear that you moved back to Connecticut. Please tell me that you are saving $$$ for a nice oversand vehicle! Kirsten says that we are counting on you for that ride.

FredA
10-26-2001, 06:58 AM
Mark,
Congratulations and best wishes.

Are you suggesting I should pack a rod next week (just kidding...I think)? I'll be visiting a few ports on the west side of the boot.

Fred A.

Nick
10-26-2001, 09:29 AM
Congrats on the wedding and the honeymoon. When I backpacked Spain, I had my 4 piece attached the pack at all times. I took it out a few times, but never caught anything. When I asked for help in Portugal, they told me to use sardine bellies. I said that I wanted to "ir de pescar con mosques" and no one seemed to understand that I wanted to fish for fun and not food. Needless to say, people seemed to get a kick out of me flailing a flyrod off of a bridge one evening in Tavira. My rule of thumb is that if the fly rod is not in the way, why not bring it?

Nick

juro
10-26-2001, 11:08 AM
Congrats and great to hear from you Mike... it must be something to be in Venice! The food! The ambience! The thoughts of flyfishing! Ooops!

If I'm not mistaken I seem to have a memory that there are funny looking flats boats with guys who will pole you around out there. Should we send a travel rod and a handful of rhody chovies fed-ex? }>