Small bass [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Small bass

FishHawk
11-08-2001, 05:01 AM
Seems as if the bass caught by most people have been rather large. Have ther been andy small bass caught? I am wondering if there are no small bass around if the fishery is in trouble. FishHawk

juro
11-08-2001, 06:28 AM
Good question, I know JeffG shares the same concern. I've seen plenty of small bass but not micros, except for a short period up at Plum Island and once at Bass River in the spring.

In retrospect, the years of a million micros were as unusual as the years without any - in other words by my anecdotal samplings micro years are not the norm either but I am no biologist.

I believe that I target larger fish more effectively with each passing year and that influences my sampling but all that being said the YOY population may be in trouble, dunno.

These are good questions to ask Chesapeake Bay Foundation biologists, they have a great site. The ratio of reproduction in CB makes it the single most important area. Hudson too. The Kennebec apparently influences the fish populations we see as well. I'll posted the CB link recently elsewhere, I'll go find it...

joev
11-08-2001, 08:26 AM
Tons of small bass in Thames River.Also in July in Housatonic River was loaded with micros 8-12 inch bass .You could have caught 200-300 if ya wanted to .I caught one every cast for 20 minutes straight before I moved on.
Joev

juro
11-08-2001, 08:35 AM
That's a relief. So it may possibly be a matter of migratory behavior than anything else perhaps. Let's hope so.

Dble Haul
11-08-2001, 09:02 AM
I'll second Joe's comment on micro bass in Connecticut. There were some days in Old Saybrook and Niantic that I could have kept catching the twinkies as long as I wanted to, but decided to move on to find some bigger fish. This was during July and August.

Mark

JimW
11-08-2001, 10:23 AM
I know of a couple of twinkie factories. I got into really small bass now and then this year. I think you just don't hear as much about the smalls because people don't generally post about them. They're out there and people are catching them. I do agree that I caught many more micros last year than this year but my fishing methods have also changed so it's not a fair comparison.

Adrian
11-08-2001, 04:20 PM
Ditto on the Housy experience - which for me was back in April.

Also got mixed up in a school of small (14" - 16") bass in Buzzards Bay back in July.

I did manage to catch one micro at Chatham this year whilst waiting for Rip Ryder one morning.

Chris
11-08-2001, 06:33 PM
We saw quite a few schoolies in the Kennebec many resident hold overs from last year right up though 16". Low water flows this summer held the fall flood back and put off the usual feeding frenzy that happens when the young of the year alwife rush to the sea. Normally, the fall rains pull the big fish back up the river. l suspect the fish numbers will be supported well from our nursery.
Chris