Sandy Neck school outing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sandy Neck school outing

Tod D
10-22-2001, 12:21 PM
While the fish didn't rival their brethren being caught out at Chatham, the schoolies were out in force Sunday morning at Sandy Neck. Arrived w/ a sluggo-chucking (& near striper virgin) friend at about 5:45, faint SW breeze and nearly-dead calm seas. As the sky lightened we made our way down to the water & witnessed our 1st blitz right at the water line. Right up until 9 a.m. it was absolute nonstop action. Had about 6 fish that went 28-32", but the majority were 24-28" (either that or I kept catching the same 3-4 fish).

Fish were corralling what looked like silversides (2-4"), and possibly some bunker.

Absolutely gorgeous sunrise too.

Ended up leaving busting fish as we kept getting farther and farther away from the parking lot. Not quite a Monomoy death march back, but long enough. Still, well worth it.

juro
10-22-2001, 04:40 PM
Tod - Great to hear the fish are in the bay, I'll make it a point to hit it at least once more before calling it a season. The bayside flats were incredible this year and it sounds like it ain't over yet!

fliboy
10-23-2001, 05:36 AM
Tod - where is Sandy Neck? This sounds like just the ticket to wet my son's appetite for some Stripers before the end of the season. Get into some action like this, and I can definitely keep him interested in trying out the fly rod. With no action, he'll give it about 1/2 an hour.

TL,

DaveP

juro
10-23-2001, 10:17 AM
Dave -

It's in Barnstable on the bayside, it's the "hook". I'd like my chances around the bayside from Barnstable to Brewster and on up to Pamet right now, in fact probably all the way up to Herring Cove. Morning flood, so I wouldn't be too adventurous on the flats.

Southside (Nantucket Sound) should be a no brainer but keep moving to find the pods. You'll have an incoming dawn tide, which would bode well as long as the water isn't dirty and the wind isn't too bad. If so tuck up inside the inlets as they flood.

As you know we'll be around Chatham and would be glad to help your boy catch the striper bug. It would be a blast, actually!

Other locations for a good chance at school fish with your son would be the North Shore, around Magnolia.

fliboy
10-23-2001, 09:43 PM
Juro - just found out from my wife that my son't team may have to play a game early Saturday morning, figures as I had intended to head down Friday after he gets out of school. If I don't get down until Saturday afternoon, let me know how to get ahold of you. It would be great to hook up with some of you guys - and you can show him how it's done!

TL,

DaveP