Rhodyfest [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhodyfest

10-14-2001, 05:36 PM
How went it...Inquiring minds want to know.

Rick S
10-14-2001, 07:43 PM
All I caught was a cold. But met some "reel" nice people.

Any luck on Sunday?

10-15-2001, 08:15 AM
I had a great time even though the fish didn't want to cooperate. My grand total was 3 schoolies caught during the first hour of fishing (Napatree Point) and then nothing for the rest of the weekend. As usual, the food was excellent and it was a pleasure to get together with everyone. Thanks to all who participated.

10-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Geez Bigcat,

Whadaya think? a little bit of Rhody fishing for these guys and they're too soggy and tired to report in. WEll??? Let's go ladies, lick yer wounds and let on. How was it?


10-15-2001, 08:41 AM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... hmmm someone already used that one.

Overall the melee that was taking place on Friday vanished on Sat and the surf came up making the beach unfishable, although we gave it hell. Art whacked them on the beach and JimW got into the action before the surf came up. SteveL had a banner day on Ninigret after the surf came up on the inside. As the beach became unfishable things diminshed to schoolies and shad for everyone including the local surf crowds, the place just plain shut down with the big surf.

On the good side, albies were 'wall to wall' between Watch Hill and Fisher's Island. The swells were spaced wide out past the breakers. Unfortunately they never came closer than 200-300 yards. Those in boats were right on them, Nick scored on his dad's boat and someone came close on Art Jr's boat.

I had limited fishing time due to circumstances that arose, duties to clear up, and a blown out right knee - but had a great time just the same. Saturday's gathering was a classic dinner with great tales, food and libations.

We would have had an albie fest if we had boats instead of being trapped behind unmanageable surf, but that's why they call it "fishing" and it's hard to call the day / day and a half when the conditions, bait and fish are going to be right for surf angling.

If you were to judge by the fishing, it was a tough weekend. Even the locals were shut down according to our south coast hosts.

If you were to judge by the good times with old friends and making of new friends, the gathering at dinner, the beautiful coast scenery, and breathing the salt spray another time before the cold bite of winter air sets in... then it was a great outing.

I choose the latter - I had a fantastic time and will look back on it as another link in the chain of outings that make up this angler's life.

Although everyone had a hand in making this a great outing, special thanks to Jim, Art and to everyone who brought the awesome appetizers, main courses, pies, cobblers, liquid treats, cigars, etc. etc.

10-15-2001, 09:29 AM
Cigars? Awww shoot. I knew I missed something. Thanks for the report. Good ol' Rhody can break your heart or make you a king in October.


10-15-2001, 10:12 AM
I had the opportunity to cut loose and fish with Capt Jack Balint on Sunday...We did the Fisher's Island scene and, after a slow start, absolutely struck it rich. As the tidal flow started it's majic...birds going nutzz, false albies going nutzz, me and my pardner going nutzz...the afternoon finally ended with three bait balls (all the size of my big ford truck) all in casting range for a good 30 minutes...non-stop with an occassional triple, between us, probably boated two dozen by the end of the day and got back from "dream-world" tired and happy...this time the boat really paid off!!! Capt Jack's local knowledge was outstanding!
All in all, no one got hurt and the general public was never really in any serious danger...despite a momentary "anthrax" scare at the social!
Fall fishing can be cold as wet waders or hot as Roop's "special sauce" and...Go figure!

10-15-2001, 10:20 AM
Quentin had the quote of the Rhody clave for 2001...

" Next year we need to schedule the Rhodyfest on 'yesterday' "

Glad to hear about your day Pete!

10-15-2001, 11:09 AM
Was going to start a thread "Rhodyfest Postmortum", postmortum being applicable to the fishing, but I'm a little late. Otherwise it was a great weekend. The accomadations were interesting, the food was excellent, and as always a great bunch of people. It was a major pleasure to meet Art B. Oh, and I really like the Doublewood - fine pogy oil/holy peat water, thanks Pete L. Thought about breaking my special bottle out but I believe I had promised myself that I would do that after banner fishing day.

Special thanks to Capt. Ray for taking Greg and I out Saturday morning. The swell was an experience for this shorebound hacker. And thanks to GregO for the tour of the various opportunities and his good humor despite the dismal catching.

Fred A.

10-15-2001, 11:47 AM
I forgot that I had a family thing to do yesterday afternoon right when I got home. And Today I've been quite Busy at work. So, here is a belated & brief summary.

As most already know the Fishing was less than stellar at this years Rhodey Clave. Although a few people did get into fish & a couple of guys did pretty well!

First, those who fished early enough on Friday before "Karen" pushed huge swells into the area did well (AtrB & JimW). Next, those who ventured into the Big esturay at night in the Yaks also did well (NY-Steve & DaveP). Also, some of the other Yakers broke the skunk (Roop & Brian?). Next, those who got well off NapaTree (NickS & the crew that Art Jr. took out) at least had shots at Albies. Quentin also managed some schoolies on spin gear.

As for Fred & I we thought we had it made Saturday morning. We had great expectations for our Pt. Judith trip with Capt Ray. At the West Wall break we were greated by 11' swells that rose out of the fog like Ghosts. From there we decided to work inside & covered pretty much of he entire area. Ray did his best to find fish. But the sight of SURFERS at our favorite spot was not a Good Sign. We marked fished deep, but even with clousers & sinking lines there was no interest in Feeding. However, our trip with Ray provided an Awesome view of mother nature. Thanks Captain, we'll get'em next time.

Fred & I spent the balance of the weekend moving from one big surf, churned-up, weed infested beach to the next. Some of the estuary areas had bait & were fishable, but we just could not make it happen! A Yak & a lot more effort probably would have helped.

The Food & Social were, as always, great!

I think the Raffles went pretty well too ;-}

10-15-2001, 12:30 PM
My report as folos: This fishing trip really began last year when I spent an unbelievably frustrating night in Ninnigret pond fishing for six or eight hours in the cold on breaking bass that wouldn't take a fly. For a year, I vowed to return to the same spot to avenge my honor.

After making scrupulous plans to remain dry and warm so I could fish the better part of the evening, I headed to the pond. Checked the beach and saw breaking fish and tried to launch the kayak. I was quickly swamped by a wave and soaked. Ok, Steve, stick with the plan. Into the pond at 5:30 and began wading the flats. Couple of casts and nothing. Continued walking and then I saw what I was looking for: that toilet bowl flush that tells you you have just scared up a big bass in skinny water. Three fish on the flats before they schooled up and were breaking the water on bait. They turned real finicky and I got just one more.

Tide died. Fish laid down. Nothing happening. Slowly the tide started to move and i started working the channel. This guy next to me telling me that I shouldn't use a black fly because "you need to use something they can see.'' Then, bam, a 30-inch was screaming into the line. Fish felt like it went 20lbs, but I guess that' s impossible.

Then up on the marsh grass to fish this corner where the tide rips around. By myself. The entire marsh empty except for this couple that got stranded on the flats in their 24-foot boat. Coupla casts and maybe an hour went by. FOg starts to roll in. I'm cold, wondering if I ought to head home. Then the first fish broke at my feet and it got silly. One after another. Same black maribu fly, same cast, same drift, hit in the same place. All the expertise of hitting the side of a barn with a howitzer was necessary to catch these fish. Mostly 26 to 28, but maybe 3 or 4 keepers among them and 3 or 4 big fish lost and every fish a good fish because they were fighting strong current.

Back the next night with DaveP and we wade the flats for a couple hours for nothing and I'm trying to stick to my belief that when the tide turns the fish will stage on the same corner. Wind is blowing. We're cold, wondering if it's worth it. Sure enough when the tide starts moving, the fish turn on. Dave and I catch maybe 15 between us, losing several big fish for various reasons, stupid and knot.

Back sunday morning to try it again but they are not there, or won't take in the daytime. I think the former because even the eel guys weren't hooking up and we didn't see much bait.

To the Weekapagu breachway where we watched fish schooling up offshore but not coming in. Saying goodbye at the motel, the birds showed up again and we thought we might get a whistle blitz, but the fish never came in close enough and I had to go.

So, if I fished 18 hours this weekend, I probably stood in the same spot for 10 or 12 of them. Guess that wasn't very advertuous, but it was productive.

Learned there are fine lines between patience, persistence and obstinance and it's hard to figure when you've crossed from one into the other.

Dble Haul
10-15-2001, 12:47 PM
Steve- It's so good to hear that you got into some consistent action. That's very encouraging for anglers like myself who are usually confined to wading flats or casting from rocks and breachways. Sounds like you did a fine job of avenging your honor. ;-)


Rick S
10-15-2001, 07:14 PM
I can't let the opportunity go without throwing in my fair share. Dave and I could only fish on Satyrday since Sunday was a "honey do" day. It was our first Rhodyfest thanks to the invite from Art B. Of course we never met Art but I just want to go on record to say thanks. Now I find out that I missed soem great food etc especially a few fine cigars. Next year, as I follow the fish south from Massachusetts north shore, I will plan to make this weekend a "keepah". I met great people, had fun and have a special place in my heart for Rhody fishin" Cant wait for spring to arrive.
In reverse, if anyone ever gets up north, please contact me so I can show you around the flatsof the Merrimac River. We have a blast up here all summer.

Til then......stay safe and dry and Art, thanks for the invite.

10-15-2001, 08:54 PM
First, thanks Juro what you have done to my login works. Second, I am sorry the weather turned against us on Saturday. That offshore storm, and the north wind moved the bait and fish. I really looked for them, I don't know how mant times I ran up and down the beaches from Watch Hill to East Beach at Charlestown, it was enough to use a tank of gas. I know a lot of good fishermen in the area, and get the true imformation from them, and none of the good fishermen were catching. Sunday afternoon, after everyone had started to leave, a friend stopped me and told me fish were about 300 yards off shore at Watch Hill Beach. I checked it out and managed to get in good position, where the fish were, and stayed for about an hour right in front of me. I called JimW on the cell and got him to come over as he had gotten a Beach permit. Instead of trying to fish I should have tried to get a picture of Jim going out in his kayak through the surf, what a picture, the second wave he hit he went through it not over it, I guess he just about filled it with water, from the way he was pumping his bilge pump, Jim you got to electrify it. I did take a picture of Jim with fish, I think the first batch were albies, all around him. I did see him hook up a couple of times, and he was the envy of about 4 boaters in the area, as Jim was right in swiming with the fish. Great job Jim, Then one of the stupid boaters, one of the hot shots, went between the fish and the shore, which put them down.
Juro, and the gang, it was great spending the time with you, guys I hope you know what you have got here on this board, the people and the dedication to it. Everyone pitches in, no complaints except where are the fish? Sorry it wasn't last Friday. In my travels looking for fish I meet a good friend who is a champion albie fisherman, infact when they are around that's what he fishes for. This year he had taken 3 fish., all at Weekapaug. The fish didn't come into casting range often this year. I asked him if he had seen AL Caolo, he said there he is. I had a nice talk with Al, nad bought his book "Sight-Fishing for Striped Bass". I have been reading it, I highly recommend it, not much on equipment, but plenty on flat fishing for bass.
This week got to have a couple of minor operations, hope to get out again next week. Again, enjoyed the company sorry for the fishing conditions.

10-16-2001, 12:51 AM
Hey Art, It was great meeting you and your son. Thanks for trying so hard to find those fish. Had they come in, we would have had them, no doubt. That school over at Watch Hill worked its way over near the motel by around 4 p.m. There was one boat out there that was both the luckiest and unluckiest I'd ever seen. They were just drifting and casting and the fish came up right around them. After a while, the fish just stayed in a circle around the boat. But they were casting like crazy and not hooking up from what I could see with my binoculars.

Couple of surf guys walked away in frustration, got halfway and turned back when the fish moved in. The fish stayed just outside the breakers. A jeep came roaring down the beach, practically trampling some strollers and he couldn't hook up either.

Guess that's how it goes.

10-16-2001, 07:08 AM
this is my 2nd try at posting, think I know what's going wrong

Jim, Greg & Juro thanks for putting this all together great time, learned a lot, I’m very appreciative that I don’t have to deal with the nasty side effects of “striper thumb” and that all my concern about having the right fly & tippet combo for albies was not necessary!!

Art, thanks for your “stewardship”. I hope you realize that guys like you are the inspiration/ model for those of us who realize we need to give back/ contribute to the sport we love by helping others. You went way out of your way and as you should know, we all greatly appreciate your efforts.

How about the locals?? Everywhere we went people were willing to share their experiences. When Brian & I were launching our kayaks 2 different people doing the same thing took time to offer us advice. One guy even finished up with “Welcome to Rhode Island!” - probably the president of the local chamber of commerce.

Capt. Ray – thanks for the offers to take out attendees. Sorry we had to kick you out Saturday night!!

Looking forward to stalking some of those flats we discovered this spring. I’m going to look into finding some group camping sites for May!!


10-16-2001, 02:16 PM
Well, being slow to post I'll refrain from repeating all the above and just throw out a mass of dittos. I had a great time as I knew I would only the fishing could have made it better. For the weekend I got one fluke and two shad - at least I beat the striped RHODEnt. ;) The dinner gathering was classic and even spiced up a bit by an anthrax scare courtesy of Fliboy. Thanks to all!!! Can't wait for the next gathering.