Montauk Blues [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Montauk Blues

Mylo
11-06-2001, 01:55 PM
Heard there was a real blue fish blitz at Montauk point yesterday... anybody here get in on the action?

I had an anxious email from a pal living in Stoneybrook who turned up without a rod and watched just about every angler there hook up! If any of you live around long island please keep an eye out for a lost looking chap muttering to himself about once in a lifetime opportunites and dumb luck...

Mylo

Sprocket
11-06-2001, 08:50 PM
Myles - I wasn't there but I had a big envelope waiting at apt. when I got home from work - thanks very much for that info packet, nice to see among all the bills...

Looking forward to seeing some of those places.

How about that guide form Lough Corrib, Mayo, only a couple weeks short...:D

Best regards,
TMS

juro
11-06-2001, 11:05 PM
Art Burton's son Capt.Burton charters in the Montauk area. Art Sr. commented on big bass coming to the boat from the area recently, and Montauk is renown for it's explosive fall fishing.

Your friend is going to have to keep that rod in the car where it belongs! ;-)

Mylo
11-07-2001, 04:22 AM
Thanks Juro,

he's perked quite a bit up because someone at the office told him the same thing and that the show isn't over yet. He saw a good number of bass landed too (to buck tails) , but said that it was a real scrum (NFL scrimmage) at the water line. He saw a lot of blues (all around 5lbs) foul hooked by spoons and spinners, said a lot of guys out there were using as big a treble as possible to increase the chance of a foul hook! Not too many FFers there that day apparently!

Sprocket - sorry about that corrib thing, timing, as always, is everything! ;)

Mylo

FishHawk
11-07-2001, 05:58 AM
I don't know if this will help you but when I was in Long Island this past weekend the folks at Terminal Tackle told me that the Nisswquogue was loaded with Bass. I was very impressed with that fishery a future clave in early Oct . would be great I will scout it out. FishHawk

juro
11-07-2001, 09:15 AM
Mylo -

That's really strange that they were snagging blues, they are about the easiest fish to hook properly in the sea. When they are in the "blitz" mood just about anything you can toss in the fray will get hit immediately.

Wish some of us were there to set an example ;-)