Looks like this is the swan song... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Looks like this is the swan song...

juro
11-02-2001, 03:12 PM
for 2001 anyway. Mid-50's to 60's daytime temps, winds SW and manageable, early morning lows with incoming thru the day, and a late migration season on our side.

Couldn't ask for a better opportunity, even if the fish had blown by already it's bound to be a good day of fishing. BUT the way the fish have been holding back I like our chances of having a good day of catchin' too.

As the weekend rolls into the Northeast - hope you are all going to get some this weekend!

Long winter ahead,
Juro

stevel
11-05-2001, 09:14 PM
hey juro, we haven't really even had our run yet down here. Don't put that boat away till I tell you. this place is going to be crawling as soon as you guys up there taken down those nets that have prevented them coming south.

Starting to get a few reports that some fish are around. Only three possibilities, either I missed our local run entirely, all the fish went around the southshore of the island, or it's yet to come.

I'm holding out for the last option. Went Sunday and managed 10 small ones on the fly, from micro to 21". That's not what I'm talking about. Great weather, lousy fishing. Nothing breaking the surface yet. But it's got to happen.

I'll let you know.

Bob Pink
11-05-2001, 09:49 PM
took a few nice fish this weekend along Fishers Island with Capt Ray, AlD and Mike Mayo who was kind enough to introduce us to a launch ramp in Stonington CT. Beautiful bass waters on the south side of Fishers.
It is hard to figure out the change in the migration patterns that seems to have taken place over the past 4 years. I was a regular along the RI beaches in late Oct and November and experienced some of the most mind-boggling blitzes on many a frosty morning. Seems like that has been missing.
If they are holding back later, they certainly aren't staying in their inshore summer haunts. Maybe a intermediate offshore holding area has developed because of bait movements?
Bluefish are still available from Chatham to South Cape Beach as of this weekend.... shouldn't the bass be following later?

stevel
11-05-2001, 10:11 PM
Bob, that seems right to me, but i havne't been at this that long.

Guy who runs a local bait shop sort of mocked a friend when he asked if it was over. 'Over? it hasn't even started yet. WE still got bluefish in the harbors.' last year the bluefish mostly cleared out before the bass came. But it could be totally different this year.

jenks
11-06-2001, 11:42 AM
Guys,

I'm still seeing bait in September places; like Barrington Beach and the salt ponds. Also it is usually the case that Barrington Beach (south facing) bluefishing slows and Third Beach (north facing) lights up. So far not a peep from Third Beach. It been a warm fall and in similar years later is better in So Co ie T-Giving. I don't expect to be dry and comfortalbe or to use a fly rod primarily.
If I hit pay dirt I'll post.

Jenks