Fishing form Irish rocks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishing form Irish rocks

Mylo
10-26-2001, 05:48 AM
Hey boyos,
I meant to send this in a while back... This is my biggest fish on the fly from the sea. And only the second time I caught one of this particular species. It is a grey trigger fish. A regular summer visitor to Irish shores. I had been hoping for a pollack, mackerel etc but was delighted to see this instead. It took an orange bead eyed shrimp, the metal beads were shorn in half by its serious teeth! Not the strongest fighter, it did make a few dives and gave me a few anxious moments as it tried to get under the rock ledges and amongst the kelp.

"http://www.cfb.ie/images/trigger.jpg"

I hope to get in a little bit more of the ole swff from the rocks before the water temps drop to much. Anybody else out there flyfishing from rocky/cliff shores?

Myles

Mylo
10-26-2001, 05:55 AM
This is from the same day. A small pollack, it took the same fly. It is just at my right shoulder. I think it is one of the smallest fish I have ever caught on the fly, smaller than a trout parr! I was hoping for a decent pollack or even a bass at the time... (i have caught fish here to almost 10lbs on a spinner, not quite the done thing but gives valuable lessons in how to find fish in the sea)! oh well

"http://www.cfb.ie/images/smallpollack.jpg"

Myles

juro
10-26-2001, 07:04 AM
Great pics Myles! You'd be a natural on the New England seashore chasing the striped bass, bluefish and small inshore tuna species. Hope you get to sample the saltwater angling on the north american atlantic coast someday. To complete the shoreline GQ look, add one of the plastic dishpans we strap to our waists as bargain stripping baskets to hold the line off the rocks... and we'd think you were already here! ;-)

I wasn't aware that triggerfish are common that far north. Pretty exotic!

Fascinating reading on the various trutta subspecies, thanks for the link.

Juro

Lefty
10-26-2001, 07:54 AM
Mylo,
Great to see you over here on the Salt board. As Juro said New England has lots of rocks and cliffs. Dangerous stuff too. YOu should come to New England some time. My trip to Ireland got thwarted by a certain jerko hiding in Afghanistan. Probably come next year instead. Do you get any other good game species from the ocean over there?

Lefty

Sprocket
10-26-2001, 08:12 AM
Hey Mylo - how far is the location of those pic's to Galway? I'll be there in a couple weeks time. Looking forward to it.

Mylo
10-26-2001, 08:33 AM
In terms of other sport fish from the Irish coast there is quite a choice, which have only recently (last few years) had anyone go after them. I suppose the easiest thing to do is list them out...

Sea Trout in eastuaries (this has been done for a very long time actually, they go bananas on the fly and are great fun altogther)

Bass (a cousin of the striper, but not quite as big. Considered by many to be the difinitive Irish marine game fish)

Mackerel and Scad (small cousins of tuna, not much more than a couple of pounds generally but superb on light tackle, they never give up. I have been fishing from boats for bigger things and had a one pound makerel lift a six oz lead off the bottom and run around as if unemcumbered.... )

Garfish (not huge but again superb sporting fish, will tailwalk and everything!)

Pollack and Coalfish (up to about 7 or 8 lbs from the shore. Big surging dives that can snap 10 and 15lbs bs in less time than it take to say "AH S***!")

Wrasse (a rockfish that is such a great scrapper you are always amazed that it is not twice its size when you get it ashore. Will always try to get you suck in or around something imoveable (mother earth generally or kelp if that can not be found). They fight all the way in)

Mullet (proabably the most underestimated speies we have, those who know call it the bonefish of the north... )

I have caught most of these, but not swffing. Something I hope to change... once I get my plastic dish pan I am sure it will all change!

There is also the chance of albacore tuna, and blue fin from boats. And even blue shark... I know a couple of guys who have targeted and caught them on a fly!

And now that I think about it there is proabably even more...

For those interested in European prospects there is a smashing book called Saltwater Flyfishing: Britain and Nothern Europe by Paul Morgan. "Saltwater flyfishermen from all over northern Europe contribute information on methods, places and patterns for catching saltwater fish on the fly. Species covered include salmon, sea-trout, bass, pollack & coalfish, mullet, garfish, flatties and cod, and blue shark! The area covered is from north Norway to southern Ireland. The contributors include Mike Ladle on bass and mullet, Stan Headley on Orkney sea-trout and many european experts from Norwegian cod to Baltic sea-trout. Included are extracts from the existing literature on saltwater flyfishing by John Bickerdyke, Fred Aflalo, Sidney Spencer, Stephen Johnson and others. "

Its not all trout and salmon over here you know!

Myles

Mylo
10-26-2001, 08:34 AM
For a flavour of what is on offer have a look at this site. Not all flyfishing, but it tells you an awful lot about the fishing around the British coast... http://www.mikeladle.com/osa.html

http://www.mikeladle.com/catch/catch.html

They have not yet put up the chapter where they go into the details of their flyfishing!!! grrrrr

M

Mylo
10-26-2001, 09:26 AM
Sprocket,

those pics were taken on the Cork cosat in the south west corner of the country, but there is more of the same on the north Clare coast (very close to Galway). When you go to see the Cliffs of Moher (oh you will) you will drive along some of the best rock marks in the country. I have great craic with pollack, mackerel and wrasse here (and sea trout but their season is closed, and now that I think about it the mackerel have proabably moved off shore).

The record Irish bass was from around here (almost 18lbs). Plenty have been taken on Fanore beach with surfcasters close in and by plugs, so flys should work too. You could try for the flounder and plaice (both flats) here too, I believe they can be caught on fly.

I wish I could be telling you all this as a guy who has been there done that, but at the moment most of my Big Plans have not been executed as I intened... :( In any case the whole west coast is heaving with fish, so I would be very surprised if you did not turn up something...

Anyway, this year is not over yet and next year should be a better one altogether.

Looking to the future,
Myles

Sprocket
10-26-2001, 10:41 AM
thanks Myles - I'm sure I'll be having mighty craic on this trip (my first).

When planets align and things get right, I'll be over to fish, seriously fish - perhaps I can trade you a pint or two for a guided tour. I'll certainly return the favor if/when you make it to the states/ new england.

good luck, keep posting

MarkDoogue
10-26-2001, 07:18 PM
Hey Mylo,

I wish I had asked for your location previously. I just got back from Clonmel (I was there for business at the Bulmers plant) last Sunday. We stayed at a hotel right on the River Suir, oh, the pain........

I know the fishing season is over but being that close to a productive fishing river made it tough.

The rod did not make the trip but the golf clubs did. I enjoyed both Dundrum and The Clonmel C.C. between large gulps of both Guinness and Bulmers....and Red Square....and Jamesons...and....you get the point.

I'll be back at some point. If the fish are in I'll come looking for you down in Cork.

By the way, Sprocket, definitely go see the Cliffs of Moher. You'll need about 500 feet of line just to dip your fly in the water from your lofty perch. While you are in Clare stop by Mcgann's pub, named for a friend,Tommy Mcgann, who passed away, and owned by another friend of mine, his partner Joe Dunn.

If the clubs make the journey you should hit Lahinch and Ballybunion as well.

~Mark