Chatham one (maybe last) more time... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham one (maybe last) more time...

Bob Pink
10-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Two days of working on the weekend was getting to me so I left Quincy at 9:30 this morning with the thoughts of the ebb at Stage firmly in my mind. Yeh, I'll get down there and start by swinging a big buffyesque herring fly along the edges of the channel. Pick off some nice drag burning fish and then follow them out to the sandbar with a qd and deep eel. What a plan. Arrive with the winds pushing pretty good from the North but the spit gave me just enough lee to cast easily. Hmmm, lot's of weed in the water here. Got to clear it after every cast. Work my way up to the mussel bed and back again without a bump. Ok, change tactics let's go deep and slow. Same results. Finally out to the bar, there's a perfect swing for the d/e to wash up and over the bar but nobody's home. Hike back at about 1:00 and decide to try to bowl at the lighthouse. Wind is brisk but ok, tides really running with the wind but could only dredge up the occasional crab from the edges of the bowl.
Water temps still felt very (relativly speaking) warm and I've got to belive there are a lot more fish waiting to push through but, that said today may have been the last fishing related visit to Chatham for the season.

striblue
10-28-2001, 07:14 PM
Bob, don't give up just yet... one more weekend at CAC... next weekend... atleast Saturday..We have got to make it as long as we can. Every weekend on this end makes April and May come sooner.

juro
10-28-2001, 07:52 PM
Wish I got down there today, by the time I got out of the family gathering it was time to save the brownie points for next weekend. I called Harry over at Nauset Angler and he informed me there were plenty of fish around, but soon there was less fishing time than driving time in the equation so I opted to get some stuff done around the house and target next weekend CAC session ;D

Always tough to have the season nearing it's end... but what a season it was!

Bob Pink
10-28-2001, 07:56 PM
Yup,
I'm sure there ARE more fish around and guys like Harry would be the ones to find 'em ;)
CAC Next weekend? Always good to have a goal in mind!

JimW
10-29-2001, 09:43 AM
I made it down there Saturday night around 11pm and fished until 2am. The wind was pretty tough but I managed to get out some decent casts. There really wasn't any other option than sinking line the way the wind was howling. No dice. I'll probably give it another shot next Friday night and Sunday morning.

Adrian
10-29-2001, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, one last fling at Chatham next week-end?

Sounds very very tempting! ;)

bcasey
10-29-2001, 07:41 PM
I'll be thinkin of you guys while I'm on the East Coast of Florida scouting out those big redfish,snook and seatrout. Lets see, wadders? maybe. Sunscreen? definitely. Pogy oil? Do you think they know what that is? I'll let you know. Fly out Thursday, return late Monday eve. Two days with a guide. I'm just starting to learn how to use my new digital camers.I hope there is something to show. Keep safe and warm, and don't let those big ones get by without a reel eel sandwich.

juro
10-29-2001, 07:46 PM
Have a great time Case - and if you need a photographer I'd be happy to take the camera so the guide can mind the poling and you can focus on the fish! }>

Nick
10-30-2001, 07:01 AM
I'm thinking of joining the crew for one last hurrah. Even if there's no fish, I'm sure the time will be well spent!

Nick

bcasey
10-30-2001, 08:15 AM
Juro, I've allready offered Brandon the extra space in my duffle, But for the price of an airline ticket your in, hotel and car are paid for. Lets go!

juro
10-30-2001, 08:17 AM
Don't tempt me... I am just crazy enough to do it!

Lefty
10-30-2001, 08:25 AM
Guys,
I really would like to make Chatham this weekend to see ya all catch a few twinkers, but after 4 outings last week I better duck and cover. But...it just so happens that my sister in law needs me to bring some furniture to Rhodey in my truck around Thanksgiving. So I'm finagling an early drop off of said furniture, say..on a weekday within the next 10 days...hmmmmm. November Exotoids!!!

Lefty

striblue
10-30-2001, 08:54 AM
Terry... Twinkers? we don't catch twinkers in Chatham. Not this weekend... sorry you can't make it... keep an eye out for the usual reports.

doogue
10-30-2001, 05:52 PM
Men,

Just when I thought that my season was over...

I may be able to make the trip. If plans solidify then keep me posted.

Thanks,

Mike

juro
10-30-2001, 06:07 PM
I'm in. Probably the swan song for my salt season. And what a great season it was >sigh< best I've ever had in terms of cow bass from shore and every single one on a fly.

I practically lived on the flats this year, enough so that I started thinking about the risk of melanoma. I am hopelessly addicted to sight fishing. I sported a racoon tan from May to September. Oh well you only live once. It was great being able to share that experience with a lot of folks this year too.

MarkDoogue
10-30-2001, 07:44 PM
Oooh, an early morning sortie......

I may be in as well. I'll monitor the situation and see if I can't convince Sandy that it is a mental health day.

~Mark

juro
10-30-2001, 08:04 PM
There will be a day when you're chipping the outline of your car door thru a sheet of ice just to get inside to turn a key and send a charge from a frozen battery to a heaving starter, a fan blowing crystals in your face, cranking, cranking until the engine barely ignites with the last spark and you thank heaven for the miracle of combustion and the promise of a heater coil coming to life some ways down the unplowed roadway on a dark and frigid February morning.

Sure we can tie flies, but like men in jail writing love letters it's a hope uninspired, a potential without purpose, a dream that can wait without urgency or even a drop of adrenaline.

The snapping of logs in the fire and the warm glow on children's faces thru the holidays will keep me sane as I wait out the vagaries of a season without liquid water. Yet at least once in the long span between this weekend and mid-May, I will remember the caramelly after taste of the fine peatwater through the thick cuban smoke and dream of the Chatham Anglers Club.

You bet your ass I am in.

Nick
10-31-2001, 06:53 AM
Saturday morning...where do I sign? Roop, you coming? You bringing the Yak?

GregD
11-01-2001, 12:18 AM
Brandon and I should be out fishing shortly after sunset friday. We are planning on trying the bowl, Nauset Beach inlet or Bass river area depending on conditions.

We'd enjoy some company if anyone is planning on some night fishing in the area friday night.

Greg.

JimW
11-01-2001, 07:47 AM
Greg,
I might join you Friday night. I can't say when I'll make it down there so I'll send you a private message with my cell number. Is low around 7pm on Friday?
I can't make it Saturday morning.

I should be in for Sunday if the weather holds, any other Yakkers going on Sunday?

Juro, did you do you indian Summer dance today? It seems to be working. :)

GregD
11-01-2001, 07:53 AM
Jim--

I'll be on the lookout for your message, were looking forward to seeing you if you can make it. Hope the latest forecasts of rain aren't true. But if it's warm enough, I don't much care as long as there is no lightning overhead. Freezing rain would make it a shorter trip for though sure.

Talk to you soon.

Greg.

juro
11-01-2001, 05:40 PM
Lookin' like a good weekend! Be there or be square, doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that there aren't many like this left in 2001. Lots of places to try your luck but I'd like to say good bye to the stellar season where I kicked it off - at the "elbow".

FredA
11-01-2001, 06:38 PM
Well our revised tickets for the cruise made it today - I was half hopein' they wouldn't so I could give the elbow one last shot. Good luck to all. Its been great fishin with ya this season.

Fred A.

juro
11-02-2001, 06:40 AM
Well Fred, wish I could say I felt sorry for you... but have a blast on your cruise!?!

striblue
11-02-2001, 09:17 AM
Looks like nice weather for November tomorrow... let's do it...and...lunch at Chatham Squire? We could get the back room if we have a lot of guys. I will have my sandals and nylon pants tomorrow... I can't break my string.

Lefty
11-02-2001, 09:28 AM
John,
Check your email.

Lefty

juro
11-02-2001, 02:00 PM
ALMOST THERE!

One more meeting and a few tasks to knock off then to my daughter's recital this evening, after which a little quality time with family tonight... and I am all over the season's finale this weekend.

Hope to see you all there, I'll be at the light at dawn.

striblue
11-02-2001, 02:22 PM
Juro, driving down after 9 to night... see you at dawn... Monomoy Coffee is closed we will have to do the other coffee shop.

Adrian
11-03-2001, 12:24 AM
Couldn't make this one but I hope you guys have a blast this week-end!