Bone Hill - Barnstable [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bone Hill - Barnstable

jimS
10-22-2001, 09:40 AM
Encountered a first for me last week. Smashed window and everything of value taken from our vehicle. Included were Abel and Sage bags containing a variety of flyfishing equipment, i.e. 20 dozen flies, spare spools, shooting heads, headlamps, digital camera, etc.

For those unfamiliar with the area, this is the parking area administered by the Mass Audubon Society at the end of Bone Hill Road overlooking a flat. This parking area is normally occupied by both fishermen and bird watchers. It appears that the culpirts had a window of about 50 minutes when the parking lot was not occupied by other vehicles. This was attested by a flyfisherman that was there about 50 minutes after we left our vehicle.

If someone offers you bargain basement prices for flyfishing paraphenalia, please contact Det. Mark Delaney at the Barnstable Police, 508.771.6237.

Based on discussions with both fishermen and the police, this type of incident is not common on the cape. There are learned lessons from this incident:
1. Don't leave items in plain view in your vehicle that may be attractive to thieves.
2. Plain don't leave valuables in your car in somewhat remote locations.
3. My initial thought is leaving the vehicle unlocked without anything of value, but I guess you run the risk of the vehicle being stolen.

This incident tends to make you gun shy of leaving your vehicle in a semi-remote location, but the allure of fishing some of those locations tends to mollify the risk.

Lefty
10-22-2001, 09:45 AM
Wow, bummer. I hope you are covered by insurance. Doesn't a home owners policy cover that sort of break in? Good luck.

Lefty

juro
10-22-2001, 10:17 AM
Jim -

Very regretful, in fact ashamed - to hear that you were victimized that way on the cape. At a time when we've all stood together so well it's depressing that someone could do that to a fellow sportsman. I assume this because of the list of missing items, but of course it could have been purely for greed without want or understanding of such hard-earned gear, just the value it presents.

Like Lefty, I hope you have some coverage thru insurance. Please email any differentiating details to me and I will keep my eyes open.

juro@flyfishingforum.com

striblue
10-22-2001, 10:26 AM
I am real sorry to hear that and I hope you have insurance.. I have always been concerned about that in Chatham.. at the Light, and particularly at the causeway.. But Have not heard about it at those locations in the last 10 or 12 years.. One car stolen from the light about 7 years ago.. Still ..I would never keep anything of value in the car.. best take it with you or leave it at a friends place if you have extra rods ..etc... and you are right.. never leave it exposed.

jimS
10-22-2001, 10:33 AM
One of the items that I omitted in a learned lesson from this incident is that a comprehensive homeowners policy with replacement value is important. I have that as a result of an incident in 1991. Hunting grouse in Wisconsin, we were subjected to a cabin fire. The fire caused by an electrical short in the heating system occurred while we were away at dinner. It destroyed the cabin, its contents, which included three english setters (two were mine). If the fire occurred while we were sleeping, we well could be history. At the time my homeowner policy was not for replacement value; thus, I didn't receive total reimbursement for my loss.

Roop
10-22-2001, 10:37 AM
Jim,

I donít know what to say except I am embarrassed that such an act of cowardice would happen in our back yard.

I at least have some replacement flies that Iíll be sending your way in the near future.

Stay in touch,

Roop

jimS
10-22-2001, 06:05 PM
Roop (10-22-2001 11:37 a.m.):
Jim,

I donít know what to say except I am embarrassed that such an act of cowardice would happen in our back yard.

I at least have some replacement flies that Iíll be sending your way in the near future.

Stay in touch,

Roop

Roop, thanks for the note and I appreciate your gesture for the flies. While I know you like the deep eel, and it is a good one, I'm one of those weird guys that likes to tie his own flies and get the satisfaction of hooking fish on those flies.

Come on over if you get a chance. The steelies are starting to run now that we have gotten some precip for the streams. Visit your sister and spend a couple of days on the streams, and bring a couple deep eels for a pattern. I saw Juro's pattern, but firsthand observation is a leg-up for me.

Keep in touch, and am already looking forward to June on the Cape.

Jim

juro
10-22-2001, 06:31 PM
Jim -

To me the d/e is just a lure like any other fly and not any silly club mascot. It's just an effective sand eel lure, yet when times are right, the anchovy is the way to go. Other days a juvie herring is key, and more than once a crab fly has saved me on the flats. Sometimes a sand colored chub pattern is the right medicine, or a grass shrimp, etc. I do not on the other hand think any of these would do much for steelhead, being somewhat of a steelhead-aholic myself.

I love to sip pogie oil and wrap silk, spin seal, palmer gadwall, match mallard and even on occasion eye with jungle cock and horn with b/y macaw... for steelhead. Just like trout afficionados would construct the most delicate and intricate insect lures from quills, thread and feather, salmonids call for a different degree of expression at the vise.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the gut wrenching runs of a cow bass in the surf and the teeth grinding carnage of a shoreline blitz, but in the pungent salt spray it's not about delicate feathers and traditions - it's about teasing the facsimile of a victim into the predatory cycle of nature with a dishpan bungee corded to your waist! Both are great fun and I love them both dearly - but those flies don't share clips in a Wheatley in my humble opinion.

But back to Erie steelhead - do you have a fall run that can be raised to a dry? Most Great Lakes runs are winter runs and fished with split shots and slinkies up in Lake Ontario tribs where I caught my first steelhead - it's not flyfishing but drift-fishing. What's the approach in Erie? It's not so far that I wouldn't come out to swing a fly someday myself!

Roop
10-22-2001, 06:45 PM
Hey - ho - whoa - hold on there a second....

Jim raises a valid point re: fly selection. While I am guilty of being a proponent of the Real Eel,using it probably 75% of the time, I am trying to get that monkey(eel ) off my back.

I have a few other favorites; the Prince of Tides, Catherwood deer hair style flies, poppers and, um.... OK I use the Real Eel 90% of the time. But next year!!

Don't worry Jim, I'll send a broad selection!!

Roop

tomd
10-22-2001, 09:50 PM
remember to keep an eye on ebay and the want-ad for people selling your items... crooks aren't usually too smart about getting rid of loot. Tom D

ssully
10-22-2001, 10:32 PM
juro (10-22-2001 07:31 p.m.):
Jim -

To me the d/e is just a lure like any other fly and not any silly club mascot. It's just an effective sand eel lure,

AH HA! Gotcha Juro! Now back to my creepy crawler sluggo LURE building set. }>

Jim,
Sorry to hear about your stolen gear. :-(

juro
10-22-2001, 11:13 PM
ssully (10-22-2001 11:32 p.m.):
Jim -

To me the d/e is just a lure like any other fly and not any silly club mascot. It's just an effective sand eel lure,

Jim,

Who caught who (hehe)... I dangled that one out there, even juiced it up a little by repeating the word lure over and over, added club mascot-ism, a dose of purism... I was fishin' with that post if ya know what I mean }>

FishHawk
10-23-2001, 04:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your gear. I guess we live in difficult times. I can remember when I never locked my car while going fishing. Makes you want to get an old beat up car just for fishing. I know that many cars are broken into on the Farmington River in Conn.
FishHawk

jimS
10-23-2001, 10:44 AM
[quote]juro (10-22-2001 07:31 p.m.):

Juro, here is the lowdown on Lake Erie steelhead. Pa streams receive about 1.2 million smolts annually. Both NY and Ohio receive 250k each. All three states have some natural reproduction. Ohio has the Manistee strain that is somewhat larger and later in entering the streams. Both PA and NY have the Washington strain that enter the streams when water temp and level permit as early as late Sept.

Yes, there is a lot of chuck and duck type fishing, but spey flies are effective and a preferred method for flyfishing. I use, most of the time, a running line with various lengths of sink tips (LC-13) for bottom bouncing. Effective patterns are dictated by time of year, water clarity and temp. A variety of patterns from size 18 PTs to size 6 zonkers are effective.

The fishery continues through the spawn in April. While it can be crowded at times, if you are willing to walk there are stream sections that receive very little pressure. On an average day you can expect 12-24 hookups.

Incidentally, it is a 10-hour drive from the cape. If you, Jeff, John, et al are interested, let me know.

juro
10-23-2001, 11:24 AM
Sounds pretty awesome! I can imagine a caravan of striper hounds heading out there on a road trip now... Beverly Hillbillies comes to mind }>

It would be a blast!

ssully
10-23-2001, 11:26 AM
juro (10-23-2001 12:13 a.m.):
ssully (10-22-2001 11:32 p.m.):
Jim -

Jim,

Who caught who (hehe)... I dangled that one out there, even juiced it up a little by repeating the word lure over and over, added club mascot-ism, a dose of purism... I was fishin' with that post if ya know what I mean }>

Oh I know what you mean. And trollin ain't FF either. :-D

juro
10-23-2001, 12:46 PM
DOH

Remind me not to play you in chess! ;-)

GregD
10-24-2001, 12:07 AM
Hi Jim,

I too am sorry to hear about all your gear getting ripped off. Hope it turns up somewhere soon. Hopefully you have something left to hit the fall run with. I guess I should start bringing a tarp with me to cover me stuff now, I always left stuff out in plain view too.

Good luck to you in recovering your things.

Greg.

juro
10-24-2001, 05:47 AM
Wanted to remind about car alarms in this case... mine is a 3-way (pressure/motion/door) and is so sensitive it's a pain in the butt most of the time. Even stepping onto the bumper to get something can activate the motion sensor. I would imagine Barnstable county would not have appreciated the eardrum shattering, but I don't think the culprits would be able to hear -or- would opt not to stick around.

Plus I really love the remote - that way I can unlock the doors by pushing the button with it in my pocket thru my waders when I need to get something I forgot inside.

PABear
10-27-2001, 12:01 AM
In lu of the recent situation I have done some research on the effects of window tintings, trunk covers, and blankets placed over your gear for protection. The best bet, as you have all stated is to not leave your valuables in the car. But if you feel the need to do so, it has been proven that SUV's and vehicles with an exposed truck are the most victimized. If you do own such a vehicle, it is best to have tinted rear windows. A trunk cover and a blanket over gear only show that you have something worth trying to hide.

When chosing a tint for your windows it is best to check your states regulations on such. I know in PA that you cannot have your front windows tinted. But if rear tinting is allowed in your state, next is chosing the tint. There are many types of tint to chose from darkened, semi-reflective, and mirrored. If a darkening tint is chosen, it is best to pick a percentage that allows the least amount of light in, but remember that you want to be able to see out when it is nighttime. I have found that a 10 or 15 percent light allowance is ideal for concealment and allowing you to see out your windows at night.

Now for my speciality, steelhead. Steelhead fishing is my sport of choice. I have been to the Cape once, this past June. I found it educational and enjoying, but not as productive as I had imagined. Now don't get me wrong, I WILL do it again, and I will catch many more fish, but for myself, right now, I'll stick to what I know. In reply to your question Juro, yes you can get fall Steelhead to rise. And spring steelhead, but after October and before mid march, forget about it. Getting a steelhead to rise is a challenge, and the fly selection is very tricky also. It all depends on where you are fishing. For example, if fishing under trees, a small ant would be ideal, if fishing off the slate cliffs, I have found that a Stone Fly pattern works well. But most of my Steelhead fishing has involved sucker spawn, blood dot patterns, and split shot. Any other questions, feel free to email me. But for now, I go.

Take care and tight lines.

Bear

P.S.- Jim, I know that your fly shortage will soon be rectified, plus get started on those steelie flies. Someone might need some someday. :)