In Search of the Giant Bluefin [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: In Search of the Giant Bluefin

sRobbins
01-08-2001, 10:29 AM
If anyone missed National Geographic's Explorer series last night they will be rebroadcasting on Sat. Jan. 13th on CNBC. The show was really incredible with great underwater footage of Bluefin busting bait.

juro
01-08-2001, 11:14 AM
I will be certain to see that. Thanks Steve!

BTW - were they eating bluefish? That unforgettable photo sequence of the bluefin chowing that big blue comes to mind.

sRobbins
01-08-2001, 11:18 AM
I think mackeral, mostly. When the action was shown from below you could make out the gulls working above the bait. Very cool. Amazing fish. Those photos you mention are by the Murry Bros. My father has that sequence framed in his office.

jeffg
01-08-2001, 11:33 AM
I saw that show last night. Some of the footage was amazing--too bad most of the footage was off Hatteras and not up here.

The baitball footage was particularly cool--I have never seen bigger bait (i.e. mackerel) ball up like that, but have seem sandeels and juve pogies do it. One of the more interesting things I took from that show was something my friends and I had kind of speculated on but never really confirmed--that tuna and dolphin will feed together on the same bait pods. They showed some footage of this and went even further to say that tuna and dolphin will actually work together to keep a pod of bait corralled. Good food for thought next time large schools of dolphin are feeding off of P-Town...

sRobbins
01-08-2001, 12:28 PM
I think that the stick-boat footage toward the end was from up here, but I might be mistaken. The dolphin were cool and they gave scale to size of the bluefin in that sequence -- large fish.

juro
01-08-2001, 12:32 PM
Did they say whether the footage was captured by divers? Also, you can probably buy the Explorer episodes for 20-30 bucks via mail order. I bought the canoe trip down the length of the Connecticut River from PBS.

jeffg
01-08-2001, 01:31 PM
Steve,
I think you're right, the stickboat footage was from up here. I was just hoping for some good underwater footage of Stellwagon.