flats boot [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: flats boot

tomd
04-16-2001, 09:23 PM
taking my trip to belize, they recommend getting a flats boot to protect from sting rays... any suggestions? Tom D

Adrian
04-16-2001, 09:49 PM
Tom

I bought a pair of Streamlines from American Angling in 1994 and they're still going strong and fit like a glove. They do a great job on sharp coral but I always try to give stingrays a very wide berth - do the "bonefish shuffle" and they'll be up and away before you get too close. I've seen gaiters advertised in cabelas but they look really clunky.

SOLO
04-16-2001, 10:43 PM
Tom...I've been pleased with my Patagonia MarleWalkers... They lace up and give good support...I wear a thin neopreme bootie to avoid blisters. If you keep your eyes on the classifides at www.flyshop.com there are deals to be had!
SafeWading!

FishHawk
04-17-2001, 04:26 AM
I also have the Streamline and they are great. I don't believe that they are in business
anymore. Simms makes a similar style boot. One area to watch out for is the zipper.
Make sure you rinse it off with fresh water after each outing. Try them on before you
buy them. FishHawk

juro
04-17-2001, 04:27 AM
Tom -

What size foot? My simms flats booties are a size 11, probably the most suited for this task. You're welcome to take them with you if they fit, I need to ship you some stuff anyway.

Juro

Adrian
04-17-2001, 07:29 AM
I've often wondered wether anyone has tried to come up with a flats boot "add-on" which would enable wading across soft mud and marl - the equivalent of a snow-shoe for the flats.

I prefer wading over fishing from a flats skiff any day in shallow water areas. Maybe an adaptation of a modern snow shoe design?

tomd
04-17-2001, 07:32 AM
I appreciate the offer Juro. I'm a size 10 sneaker.

tomd
04-18-2001, 07:03 AM
Juro, never mind the flats boot, they are giving eeveryone on the trip a pair. don't know if it's to keep, but I don't need to bring them now. Tom D

Nathan Smith
04-18-2001, 11:50 AM
The Patag. Marlwalker is your best bet. The traditional neoprene boot will offer little to no protection from rays.