First area show - Marlboro [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First area show - Marlboro

juro
12-18-2000, 11:00 AM
I'm ready... January 19th, 20th and 21st at the Royal Plaza, just off 495 in Marlboro (Northboro side of the highway, west side).

Hope to hook up with as many people as possible... may be meet for a social in the nearby lounge?

saltydog
12-18-2000, 05:41 PM
JURO, Ill be there Friday after noon. If I can get back out Saturday I will, BUT will be a shop.I hoping BOBPOP will be there w/ his new book.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYING"

juro
12-18-2000, 07:55 PM
Great! I'll see you there. I'll email you to arrange where / when. The information is at http://www.flyfishingshow.com eg. Bob Popovics - I hope so too!

Hawkeye
12-19-2000, 07:02 AM
I don't know what day(s) yet but I will definitely be there.

Lefty
12-19-2000, 12:17 PM
I'll be the guy casting all the 4 pc. 6 wt.s in the pool.

Terry

jared
12-19-2000, 12:35 PM
Hey Terry...try and stay out of the pool this year...or if you insist in
getting in, wear waders!

;)

jared

Tod D
12-30-2000, 06:59 PM
Juro et al,
I plan to be there Saturday (from morning start through (hopefully) early afternoon).I'd be up for meeting for a morning coffee/tea beforehand, lunch, etc.

Tod

PeteGray
12-30-2000, 08:38 PM
JURO...
I've flown a few presidential support missions...all the Secret Service
"men-in-black" wear the "pin-of-the-day" for quick ID...perhaps Forum Folks could wear a "pink crustacean" or the "fly-of-the-day"...or you might just suggest a specified FFF rondezvous time in the lounge...
I suspect you may sustain a complimentary buzzz !
SEEYA SAT...

juro
01-01-2001, 12:23 AM
GREAT IDEA SOLO! I hope to have gizmo's hats and such done by the show dates, but maybe it would be worth doing some buttons by then too. I'll look into it.

Bri-RN
01-02-2001, 03:04 PM
Hopefully be there Friday afternoon, before the hords of people over the w/e.
Are you thinking of meeting some place for a social?
Brian Z.

jeffg
01-11-2001, 01:07 PM
Thought I'd refresh this post since time is drawing closer. I am going to be working the CCA booth Sat morning 9-12. PLease come by and introduce yourself if you are in the area.

striblue
01-11-2001, 01:35 PM
I will look for the Friday contingent, as I plan to be there then... maybe Saturday am.

RayStachelek
01-11-2001, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

There was a post earlier about Bob Popovics being at the show.

Bob will be bring a limited number of copies of his book, POP FLEYES.... Bob Popovics's Approach To Saltwater Fly Design by Ed Jaworowski and Bob Popovics. I've reserved a copy for myself. If anyone else in interest, please post your desire. I can tell him to put them aside and when you go to the show at any time just mention my name and he'll have a copy waiting for you. Of course he will put his Jon on it.

Need a count though.

RS

striblue
01-12-2001, 07:36 AM
Ray... please reserve one for me..will he be there on Friday and/or Saturday? As I mentioned earlier I am planning on going Friday.

RayStachelek
01-12-2001, 08:37 AM
John....

I'm at school right now and don't have access to a brochure. Can anybody supply John with some information?

Will Popovics be tying during the Friday portion of the show?

There is a web site also for the Marlborough show, but I don't know if they would have the scheduled times posted.

RS

striblue
01-12-2001, 09:43 AM
Ray ,don't go to all that.. I will probably be there Saturday in the morning. But I really want to get that book . I will be looking for books on Tying methods. I have got down the clouser and deciever and some other epoxy flies as well as squid and Puglisi... But I really need to study technique. The Pop book will give me a valuable perspective on epoxy use,I think. I will find out when he is there if I don't hear on this thread. I have a number of "recipe" books down the Cape.. Lefty's and Orvis, Roberts ,etc.. But do you have any recommendations for others that help more on technique and How too, as oppose to just recipies. I will look for them at the book booths at the show if you can give some recommendations.

Roop
01-12-2001, 09:49 AM
John,

I haven't found any books with detailed info re: technique. Some of the patterns in Veverkas "Innovative Saltwater Flies" are covered in better detail than standard pattern books.

I think you're headed in the right direction with the classes & attending UFT. The other key ingredient is experience which it looks like you're stocking up on rather quickly. Keep going and try to stay away from the chartreuse!!

Roop

RayStachelek
01-12-2001, 10:57 AM
John,

There are two ways I believe are the best ways to really learn epoxy methods. Books would be my third choice. Remember your dealing with manual skills here. Watch experience tyers during demonstrations and ask questions. At show they can sometimes duplicate what you might be doing wrong. Of course you might forget some of this knowledge by the time you return home. So I feel that having vcr tapes are the best. You can run them the same time your doing the task. If you make a mistake or puzzled, just rewind. But the important fact is that your seeing the fingers/tool manipulation. That somthing that can't get conveyed from books. Bob P has three great tapes. I can let you borrow them if you like

Anyone have any other hints for John?

RS

striblue
01-12-2001, 11:16 AM
Jeff and Ray... thanks... I will keep those things in mind at the show.. Ray, I will look for some tapes at the show, but if you loan me yours I will return them to you at the clave the following week. jeff.. I am staying away from Chartruse,but have done a number of Kooms' rats ass which is the fly that gave me all the sucess over the years at least at the light house.. that fly is all chartruse as you know.

TinMan
01-12-2001, 01:08 PM
DO they allow video cameras at these shows?

tomd
01-14-2001, 10:37 AM
well, the only time I can get to the show is Saturday morning for the opening till 3 or so. Tod, would be great to hook up for breakfast/coffee / whatever beforehand. Tom D

P.S. is anyone thinking about attending any of the tying clinics with Gartside or Best?

TinMan
01-14-2001, 04:26 PM
I'm planning on Saturday till mid-afternoon.

There's a great breakfast place in Northboro, just down Route, near Stan's Sub Shoppe.
I'm sure the hotel has a place as well, if anyone's interested.

juro
01-14-2001, 04:44 PM
Count me in for breakfast on Saturday... but I'll need to be at the show on time.

JenH
01-14-2001, 05:04 PM
I'll be there, soaking it all up (and shopping for a new 9 wt...)
I can't speak to breakfast, but if anyone's planning to meet for lunch or dinner, the Oxford--right nearby on rt 20--serves the world's best gnocchi (and other wicked good, wicked cheap Italian food.)

FYI

Tod D
01-14-2001, 07:12 PM
Looks like I'm going on Sunday instead due to family commitments on Saturday.

tomd
01-15-2001, 02:09 AM
Tinman and Juro, I'm in for breakfast on Sat. what time? I'll be there thru lunch, so Jen if you want we can meet for a quick bite. don't wanna miss anything. ;) Tom D

TinMan
01-15-2001, 09:00 AM
Juro - ditto, I want to see the casting demo and I believe that's the first thing at 10:00.

TomD - I see a message saying you can't make Saturday?

I would like to do breakfast at 8:00-8:30. We can do the hotel and be sure to not miss the start of the show... sound good?

Cell 508.380.8890 (Omelette Clave? http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

jared
01-15-2001, 09:19 AM
Looks like I'll be at the UFT beginners table in the morning on Saturday, and
then roaming around in the PM...

--jared

tomd
01-15-2001, 09:54 AM
Tinman, that's TodD that can't make it! my only chance fot the weekend is for sat, so barring the flu or a blizzard,I'll be there for breakfast. Tom D

TinMan
01-15-2001, 10:53 AM
Youch! Senility AND bad vision at the same time at 39. What's in store for the big FOUR-O? Scarey.

jeffg
01-15-2001, 12:41 PM
John,
are you going to Stonybrook? If so, remind me and I will bring a vcr tape that I got a few years back that covers epoxy very well. You can borrow it and just ,ail it back sometime...

Email me if interested.

Jeff