: Digs for the Spring Clave!
Here's a proposal from Sean Fields for Spring Clave HQ...
We will be able to work it out for somewhere in the vicinity of $25/night per person if we can get multiples of 6 per cabin.
CHECK IT OUT... "http://www.anchorageoncove.com/all.jpg" (http://www.anchorageoncove.com)
What does the gang think?
NOTICE: Date has been changed to May 18th, 19th and part of the 20th in observance of Mother's Day
02-14-2001, 09:06 AM
Looks perfect, sign me up!
02-14-2001, 09:17 AM
Awesome!!!! It's hard to type .... my casting arm keeps twitching.
02-14-2001, 10:08 AM
When is the spring clave, and where is it?
Each May we welcome the arrival of stripers in spring in the Forum's Northeastern Region by gathering to celebrate flyfishing on Cape Cod. Last year the clave was meistered by Terry Weir, who offered access to his splendid cottage on Bass River and championed the event in style. There was a thread on this recently, but your best bet is to go to the Chronicles page and click on the Spring Clave link.
This year, the meister is Jeff Roop - who is in the throws of a new job and has not been able to hang out as often but will soon be making announcements. We have not nailed down a precise date yet but as the time approaches we will be working all that out as we always do!
Sean Fields is a guide and a friend of the Forum from Orleans, MA on Cape Cod's striper coast. He is also managing the Anchorage on the Cove, where he proposes we take advantage of the off-season rates during our Conclave. As far as I am concerned, this is a no-brainer!
Also, Fishing the Cape has suggested a casting event at their gorgeous flyshop in East Harwich, just nearby on Cape Cod. They are a recent sponsor and their ideal location will be an easy stop between HQ and the warmer Nantucket Sound waters we target this time of year. Later on, as Monomoy heats up they are on the road from I-6 to the refuge as well.
These are just the preliminaries and I am sure there will be a lot more coming on this NE region kick-off clave, stay tuned!
02-14-2001, 12:39 PM
I'm supposed to be there May 25 - 27. Is this clave around this time?
We usually hold it earlier, but there will be lots going on when you are in town. The bayside should have some great fishing by then and there should be fish in the Monomoy refuge, thus providing many more options to escape wind and other possible factors on Cape Cod.
Alternatively we could defer the clave to the later date but need to consider the off-season rate advantage for the clave-goers sake. The official season begins Memorial Day, which is the Monday following the period you listed. Most families will be holding their fathers hostage that weekend http://www.flyfishingforum.com/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif... but some of us will be on cape to show you around (like me). Typically unless we include families such weekends are taboo for claves.
Short answer - I suspect we can't clave that holiday weekend but many will be able to meet up with you.
02-14-2001, 02:00 PM
I am in as long as it isn't the 20th-27th. I will be in Christmas Island.
02-14-2001, 02:15 PM
Juro, I am in and will base at Chatham and meet up. I will be down that weekend for sure, probably on my own.
02-14-2001, 02:18 PM
If my Lower Cape Geography serves me, this is on the lower (south-west) end of Salt Pond, just above Goose Hummock & below The National Seashore Vistitor Center. I also see a boat dock in one of the photos. Salt Pond connects to the Upper end of Pleasant Bay & provides Access to Nauset Inlet. When looking at dates I would think later than last year. I think the season start up there will be delayed a week or two from the warmer waters of The Sound & Bass River? Correct me if I'm wrong.
GregO - Sean suggested it as a base camp, although you're right a little delay would put the fish into both Stage Harbor and Pleasant Bay.
It would be nice to moor right where the action is, but this would provide for an awesome HQ even if we fished down 28 on the sound.
Maybe we should look into mooring down on Nantucket sound somewhere for the weekend?
02-14-2001, 02:56 PM
This is the place we stayed last summer. 500 yards from the Mouth of Bass River, 1/2 mile from public launch, Private Dock!
<a href="http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/2527.htm" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/2527.htm</a><!--auto-->
Another fine choice, especially since you have the mooring to consider. Questions include two-night stay off-season rates? Capacity avail for the time period? etc.
There aren't any hard-fast rules on where people stay, John will be at the CAC, I could stay at our cottage but will probably stay with everyone instead, etc.
I think the rates at the Anchorage are $130/night sleeps 6, $20-$25 per person per night. Very close to the Brewster flats, Pleasant Bay, Stage Harbor, etc if we get later in the month - I hope to be in the Keys early in May.
We'll figure it out as we go along as usual.
02-14-2001, 04:19 PM
If numbers get too high I can always put people up at the CAC and we just meet at HDQS ,wherever that may be, to go fishing and to hang out in the eve, etc. Once again that assumes my wife and Kids don't come down and they usualy don't until mid May.
02-14-2001, 06:17 PM
My initial thoughts was same as Grego's. The place in Orleans looks fantastic, but I think upper Pleasant Bay gets going a little later than the Bay, South side or Monomoy, no? It would still be a cool base. In any event, I really hope to make it this year AND have boat in tow!
02-15-2001, 12:40 AM
Methinks that with some luck I will be hunting Turkeys in Iowa around May 1
Methinks I might swing out to a clave if it is on around early May?
Mewife may not fully agree, but with a side trip to Boston, methinks I may convince her anyway
So if dates agree, somewhat, memight get a stripped turkey!
keep posting the dates & location
02-15-2001, 08:08 AM
This is a nice place to stay!! I've stayed there before (later in the season, though). Caught tons of schoolies and a few shad wading out just left of where the photo was taken. Boat ramp ~ 1/4 mile down the road to the left.
My only question is how the fishing will be here that early......
02-15-2001, 08:26 AM
Marvin, good point but as previously stated we can use that as HDQ according to Juro. At that time of year I have caught countless schoolies at the base of the Bridge Street Bridge across from Stag harbor Marina and also in the "bathtub" the west shore of south beach.. where the Chatham break accured. i.e the inside from Big Gurl Bar. But as you know the opposite side is a different water temporature, etc and the schoolies really have not "made the turn" at that point. So it will be a commute from HDQ.
02-15-2001, 03:00 PM
I have stayed at Anchorage before.A great place, depending on the date of clave, I would be interested.
02-15-2001, 03:08 PM
The thought of a spring clave, already gets me fired up.
Just tell me when, how I can help, and whatever else is needed.
Both places sound incredible.
02-15-2001, 06:19 PM
I'm up for any which way. If you need a body to fill up a cabin - thats fine - otherwise I'll stay in Dennis.
I'm in if at all possible. the sooner we firm up the date the better, so my wife can schedule around it. the place looks great, if we use it I'll stay there. otherwise I'll crash at my sister's place in Harwich. Tom D
02-15-2001, 09:27 PM
Count me in. I haven't made a clave since the Rhody clave. I would be game for a bunk in the cabins.
Hitting some Tarpon waters at the end of February to get my casting arm in shape - let you guys know how I make out.
I'm flexible either way as well. It'll all work out as usual. Roop's meistering so it's bound to be a kick!
Dave - I am very anxious to hear about your trip. Take notes and photos - we'll help you publish it and it'll earn you a new fly line for the spring clave.
If you have more info on the Bass River locale, pls email Roop with details. I know it's still out there a ways time-wise but did you notice the early dawns and strong sun?
02-19-2001, 07:28 PM
i would like to be involved in this event. i will not be staying at HQ as I live just down the road. If someone wants to show me which end of the rod to hold, I can return the favor with something.
Bruce - It will be great to have you! The clavemeister (Jeff Roop) is still evaluating another place with mooring on Bass River but I think things are pointing to the Anchorage in Orleans for price and capacity... not to mention su-weet accomodations.
We'll keep you fully informed as plans gel.
02-20-2001, 12:38 PM
YES I'M STILL ALIVE AND I'M HAVING DREAMS OF MY REEL SCREAMING LOL. COUNT ME IN!
LOTS OF BACKING,
Hi Craig! That 43 incher haunting your dreams lately? Spring is (almost) in the air...
02-20-2001, 06:09 PM
Depending on the date I'm in.Looking forward to my first Clave.
Welcome Jimmy! I hope our dates work out for you, we look for good tides in early May. I spoke with Roop last night, his typically endless supply of energy is working the case. He mentioned some proposed dates based on the tides, I suspect we will hear from him soon.
I will put together the info page as soon as we have some more details. Unlike some of our totally spontaneous antics, we have a lot of lead time on this clave to plan it out.
How's May 12th sound for a date? Jeff Roop's put together an outline that I will be putting into a page format ASAP...
Let's hear a yay/nay on this date please
02-26-2001, 05:31 PM
May 12 Sounds Great for me, count me in!
02-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Good for me and I can't wait!
02-26-2001, 07:30 PM
I'm in. I will be down in Chatham anyway. As I said before I will stay at my place but spend free moments with everyone anyway.
02-26-2001, 07:33 PM
02-26-2001, 08:39 PM
If it's not Mothers Day weekend, I'm in.
<font size="4">whoa!!</font><!--4--> (sound of brakes squealing)
Boy, Fred - you just saved my butt!
Roopster... outgoing in the morning sounded good, but not <i>that</i> good that the sons and husbands of the world could pull that weekend off.
We could go either way and still get the unbelievable rates... the weekend after (putting more fish in the bays and some on the bayside) or the weekend before.
I would have a hard time waiting until the weekend after, but then again last year we had some very cold weather on the Sunday outing and a couple of weeks might take that edge off. The fishing would certainly be better later, but then again this is about shaking off the shack nasties. There will be plenty of fish later on.
Mister meister, what say you?
Didn't mean to be so dramatic on the last post... I am really glad Fred noted that because it would be trouble in paradise for me. Father's Day is all mine but we have an annual tradition on Mother's Day where all of the mothers get together with all of the families and if I were off fishing... you don't wanna know!
Jeff's in his car circumscribing the globe visiting clients, so I am going to step in and offer some possibilities:
<b>Option #1 - "Play and Pay"</b>
Clave Friday and Saturday, come home Sat PM to clean up and show our Mother's and wives due respect on Sunday.
<b>Option #2 - "Divide and conquer"</b>
If there is interest for the MA/NH/CT/etc contingents to join Rhody hosts Ray, Art and others at a Rhody EarlyBird Clave, then we could possibly delay the Cape Clave to the following weekend. This will also put more fish on the cape and lessen the driving to and fro spots - which on the cape is never a big deal anyway, but FWIW. In the end, it would be two chances in May to attend.
<b>Option #3 - "Carpe Diem"</b>
Because of how horrible the NE winter has been, do the cape on the week before Mother's Day - just because you can't wait any longer than that! (Multi-claves are cool, ideally people would clave all over the place at the same time!)
<font size="1">Don't mean to step on the meisters toes but this way I think he'll have more cards on the table when he checks the thread.</font><!--1-->
What better present to give your beloved wife/ mother than to get out their hair for a weekend and go fishing?
I vote for the weekend before.
Thanks for your help J, starting to come up for air... will post conceptual plans for the clave this weekend.
Thanks to everybody for the early showing of support, I promise a great time for the seasoned vets as well as newbies.
03-06-2001, 09:30 PM
If the clave happens to be at the Orleans - Eastham site, I am quite sure I know someone who can donate a stout skiff to get around in. If you agree Sean email me.
Thanks Bruce! Your generosity is greatly appreciated. I hope the fish arrive early... we earned it this year!
I think it's a good time to set up the sign-up sheet. Also, Fishing the Cape has generously volunteered to host us at their shop in East Harwich for a daytime event, more details to come.
BTW - click the page number 1 on the lower right to read the first page of this thread for the picture of the anchorage and the website.
04-17-2001, 07:58 AM
I am still definitely in! I plan to fish the C.C. Canal Spey style on Friday 18th. prior to joining up with the rest of the team. Depending on tides there may be time to fish nearer H.Q. later that day.
Sounds good to me!
04-29-2001, 05:28 PM
Sign me up!!
My check is on it's way. What's the word on wadable water if I could get my hands on a 12' or 14' tin boat would it be a good idea to trailer it down for this? This will be my first conclave so any info on patterns, lines and accessabily forwading and launching would be excellent.
Either way it's going to be fine... a small boat would give you carte blanche access to the great waters in Bass River, Pleasant Bay, Stage Harbor, and with a bit of a drive Barnstable Harbor, etc. If the fish are still further southwest (which I doubt) then there are many more areas perfect for a small craft that we can get into as well. Captain Bruce Peters has very generously offered up the use of his skiff as mentioned above.
Boat or no boat, we know the drill pretty well and you can count on some good guidance. I'll post another thread that gets into the options a little bit - but most of the down and dirty hotspots will be shared off-line at the Anchorage. No sense in posting specifics! We share openly at claves and that's one of the great things about them - not to mention great people and great times.
To answer your question, if you bring the boat it will go to very good use. It will provide a huge advantage and invariably more fish to cast at. If not, you'll have plenty to do on foot. I guess it depends on how inconvenienced you would be if you brought it.
Look for more specific info to come, and don't worry - there are plenty of places to launch and use a small boat if you do decide to bring it.