Conclaves in RI? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Conclaves in RI?

artb
02-27-2001, 06:37 AM
I have been sick for about a month, so it has been do nothing but think of 2001 fishing. Things I have thought of. Fishing the Seekonk River in May when the herring are running to the dam at Omega Pond. The Salt Ponds when the Worm hatch is on, and on the last week of September for the bass migration between Pt. Judith, and Napatree. The reason I like late September is there is usually some very large stripers around. October the fish are smaller, and most of the False Albacore have moved through already. Just fuel for thought.

Adrian
02-27-2001, 08:42 AM
Sounds good to me Art, RI is just a bit closer than the Cape from where I am in CT!

RayStachelek
02-27-2001, 09:46 AM
Art -

Is this do-able?

"Kick-off The Season Clave"

Catch a few early season/hold-over bass, than meet at some cheap buffet place for brewski's and food. There's no reservations required at these establishments. Would be a minimal of work to plan. Doesn't make a difference if four or forty show?

juro
02-27-2001, 09:59 AM
As you all know we love the fall RhodyFest. I arranged our first Rhodyfest before the Forum was born on behalf of R/T in 1999, and I was attending a British Columbia clave last year. But while working on the journal (coming up very soon) I couldn't help but notice that last years' clave was an epic event and well attended too.

The idea for an early kick-off further west of the Cape Spring Clave is a good one - but no fair! You get the fish before we do! http://www.flyfishingforum.com/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

When does the worm hatch take place in the RI salt ponds? Worm clave?

RayStachelek
02-27-2001, 10:25 AM
Juro-

Nothing formal here. It wouldn't compete with any other event that the forum has planned. Just an informal get together with a chance to throw a line and maybe catch a few fish in the process. Maybe early to mid April

RayStachelek
02-27-2001, 10:25 AM
Juro-

Nothing formal here. It wouldn't compete with any other event that the forum has planned. Just an informal get together with a chance to throw a line and maybe catch a few fish in the process. Maybe early to mid April

juro
02-27-2001, 10:47 AM
No sense of competition, Ray - the more the merrier! I was only joking because the fish pass by your waters before Cape Codders get their shot. In fact, after a recent visit to Newport and Art's recent urging, the thought has been pretty strong in my own mind for an early bird. I couldn't believe that I had 40" of snow in my yard - yet there was grass half-green in Rhody!

Remember, this is the same nor'easter crew leaves pots on the stove and fires burning from a campsite when someone says... "wanna take a few casts?". I wouldn't rule it out buddy.

RayStachelek
02-27-2001, 11:32 AM
Art and I can observe the fishery here in RI. When the first signs of fish show, we give a location, date and time span. That's all the planning that is necessary.

If people want to meet after for a bite to eat.... fine.

No need for banners, signs, or anything else to identify the group. We'll be the only nuts out there.

Nick
02-27-2001, 02:26 PM
Ray and Art,
This is my kinda clave! No fuss no muss, show up if ya can! Man am I psyched to fish. Luckily there are a few more weekends to ski and keep my mind off fishing.
Nick

RayStachelek
02-27-2001, 04:23 PM
Nick

Start flexing those ski poles and build up some muscle memory for the bigger stick. Won't be long now, at least for fresh water fishing.

Roop
02-27-2001, 09:36 PM
Ray,

This could be my initiation (finally) to your home waters.

Count me in!

Roop

RayStachelek
02-27-2001, 10:53 PM
Luv to have ya.... Roop

artb
02-28-2001, 06:32 AM
Ray, Wake me up when the stripers start running up and down the Seekonk, When is the next snowstorm ? Just kidding, I am guessing that the fishing will start at about the time RI trout season opens up. I guess that the first week in May should have a reasonable amount of fish around. I have my spies in South County to find when the worm hatch starts, or like Al D says their annual mating ritual, I am guessing that it will be in early June.
Like you say Ray, those that can make it fine, but no special signup, just we will be there, and we will post as to when,where,and how. Anyone is welcome to join us for a day of urban fly fishing.