Clave tools [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Clave tools

i'm so outta here
01-24-2001, 09:57 PM
Dugmore & Duncan, the company I work for, has been kind enough to allow us to use their development server for the last six months to host the clave sign up tools. During that time, accepting sign ups and the like was never a problem since we (D&D) were in the early phases of developing our own ecommerce/Intranet applications, and we (FFF) were a pretty small crew back then. However, that situation has changed (on both fronts), and we can no longer ride the free bandwidth band wagon, as it were.

As many of you know, I wrote the tools as a contribution to the cause. I've never asked for compensation for this and never will in the future, regardless of what that future holds.

I've been very busy at work and home (and going through a pretty bad case of the winter blues). As a result, I had pretty much written off the whole idea of keeping the clave tools going. However, in looking back at some of the past events and the relative ease with which we organized them, I do believe we need something to take the place of the outgoing toolset.

One problem with my past work is that it was written in Tango, a middle-ware application server and scripting environment which is not supported by most commercial hosting services.

Future clave tools will have to be built from scratch using Perl, PHP4, Cold Fusion or some combination thereof. If we have any programmers out there who want to take up the torch, I'd be happy to collaborate or simply assist in laying down a needs assessment. Open Source <i>does</i> have its merits (even if they don't apply to social interaction)http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif We will get better results and get them faster if we work together. Any takers?

Al

juro
01-25-2001, 08:22 AM
Al -

Your work in clave tools has been our savior from board woes - as you said the BB is not an effective tool for the job.

This server (forum) handles PHP and Perl and it would not be a problem to host your work here. Also, we might consider raising enough to cover all or part of your server costs if you wanted to go locate a host for your work. I don't think anyone (including myself) would have any hesitation to support a server on your behalf, we'd just have to get more advertising from our friends in the flyfishing business or hold a couple of fund-raisers.

As far as the labor itself it would be a pipedream for me to say I could provide an effective resource with my current time constraints so I won't even fib about it. http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

i'm so outta here
01-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Juro -- I appreciate the offer, but having the forum fund something that I hope to turn a profit on someday, i.e. hosted applications, just wouldn't be appropriate. Placing the signup tools on the Forum server <i>does</i> make sense, so we'll definitely make a push to develop in Perl or PHP.

<pre>foreach $day(@procrastination){
die "cannot clave: $!" unless(join({$forces,$talents,$passion}=~/$day/));
}</pre>
http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif
al