Casting Clave Planning Group and Volunteers Needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Casting Clave Planning Group and Volunteers Needed

juro
03-27-2001, 05:42 AM
OK - with this thing coming quick we will need ideas, plans and volunteers.

Brainstormers:

If you would like to share ideas on the topic let me know and I will include you in the email list. Deadline to get into this group will be midnight tonight, since we only have a couple days anyway.

Plans thus far:

Arrangements made - Dave
Check mailed - Juro
Special Guest - Todd Murphy
Roster - Juro
Agenda:

Combination of free casting, beginner->intermediate->advanced lessons, and game/contests

Other happenings: raffles will be drawn, knot tying demos by striblue, flytying on tables if you wish, etc.

I will check with Dave on whether we can bring food and drink into the hall. The timing is such that lunch falls before and dinner after so meals are not an issue. I hope we can have coffee and some snacks for the kids.

Volunteers:

We will need some folks who will help set-up, clean-up and generally help keep things in order according to the schedule we finalize over the next day or two.

This could mean keeping one eye on where the kids are, helping people with what Todd is demonstrating up front, etc - all depending on what the plan calls for.

Just reply here and Dave or I will do the rest.

Juro

Bob Pink
03-27-2001, 05:57 AM
Juro,
Count me in for "set-up" which could include ?
Floor sweeping? Given our recent display of winter I bet there will be a fair amount of sand/dirt on the fieldhouse floor. Perhaps we should also all give some thought to bringing a pair of clean shoes/sneakers we can change into once we arrive to minimize the track-in dirt.

Table Set-up?
Are there ones there we can use or do you need us to bring some if available?

Rod Organization?
We should have some way of having everyone identify their gear to avoid confusion. I can bring a roll of masking tape and some markers.

For target practice, anybody have hula-hoops?

striblue
03-27-2001, 07:48 AM
Juro, I will help out. You tell me what you want. Also, Bob, I tought of hula hoops but do not have any. We can always improvise.. Laying towels down or use virtually anything for targets. The knot tieing will be informal.. Just a sit down, even the floor and practice a variety of them. Fot the targets, we can also use masking tape.. That should not cause any damage to the floor. Juro, do you want me there earlier?

GregS
03-27-2001, 08:20 AM
Juro,

I'll be glad to help out anyway possible (before, after, during). Just let me know.

Greg

Broadbill
03-27-2001, 09:29 AM
Juro -

Not sure I'll be able to be there early, so put me down for clean-up/mop-up/wrap-up at the end of the day.

Jay

tomd
03-27-2001, 09:30 AM
Juro, were we supposed to send a check? I am committed to the fee, but thought we were unsure of the cost right now. I have 2 hula hoops I can bring. Tom D

Hawkeye
03-27-2001, 09:41 AM
I'd be glad to help out pre, during, post or all three. Just let me know what you need.

Dave
03-27-2001, 11:29 AM
The Reading Field House has a no food policy. That means we can't eat or drink inside the field house. However, there is a lobby attached that we can set up for food and snack there. Also, because it is a public building there is no smoking or drinking of alcohol allowed in the building or on the grounds.
Dave Williams

John_Desjardins
03-27-2001, 12:01 PM
I can probably help on the setup. But need to run it past the boss before committing to it.

For accuracy if you want to get serious, and real humbling, we could use Lefty's method of a mouse trap & a clouser with the hook cut off at the bend. Otherwise I've used paper plates or frisbies in the past.

JimW
03-27-2001, 06:00 PM
I also have a hula hoop or 2 that I'll bring along.
Here's a couple suggestions:
1. Name tags (if you'd like I'll bring some stickers and a marker)
2. What about some activity to break it up for the kids like a basketball?
The field house looked massive in the photo so if there's room for the kids to have some sort of semi-organized activity it may help break it up for them. Just an idea, maybe not a good one now that I recall the Thump! Thump! Thump! of all the games I've been to lately.
I don't know if my daughter will make it whole 4hrs and she's looking forward to the casting side of things but something to break up the afternoon may rejuvinate an otherwise bored child.
I can help with setup or Cleanup if my daughter doesn't lose interest though she'd sit quietly, I want this to be fun for her and 4hrs may be just too much fun.

JimW
03-27-2001, 06:05 PM
I also have a hula hoop or 2 that I'll bring along.
Here's a couple suggestions:
1. Name tags (if you'd like I'll bring some stickers and a marker)
2. What about some activity to break it up for the kids like a basketball?
The field house looked massive in the photo so if there's room for the kids to have some sort of semi-organized activity it may help break it up for them. Just an idea, maybe not a good one now that I recall the Thump! Thump! Thump! of all the games I've been to lately.
I don't know if my daughter will make it whole 4hrs and she's looking forward to the casting side of things but something to break up the afternoon may rejuvinate an otherwise bored child.
I can help with setup or Cleanup if my daughter doesn't lose interest though she'd sit quietly, I want this to be fun for her and 4hrs may be just too much fun.

JimW
03-27-2001, 06:08 PM
I seem to have mastered the double post. Hopefuly I'll have some success with the double haul on Saturday.

Bri-RN
03-27-2001, 06:10 PM
You name it and I can help with whatever is needed.
I can bring a fold out table with cans of juice/soda (cooler), and munchies for the foyer area Dave was talking about. Snacks for all, but aimed at the younger half of our company on Sat. Does this sound good?
Drop me a line.
bzinck@lifespan.org
Thanx
Brian

juro
03-27-2001, 08:37 PM
THANK YOU! I will put together a list of thoughts based on what Dave, Todd, and others have suggested to come up with a basic plan and we can 'punt' from there.

Looking forward to it!

Dave
03-28-2001, 09:18 AM
In the lobby of the field house are 2 soda/sports drink machines.
Dave

juro
03-28-2001, 03:14 PM
Tom -

We can collect at the door, but thank you.

Greg S - can you send me an email so I can get your email address (not in profile)

thanks,

juro@flyfishingforum.com