Cape May [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape May

October Caddis
11-16-2000, 09:19 AM
Just got back fron NJ on a work related matter but did get a chance to stop down in the Cape May area. I checked out the beaches and talked with fishermen along the shore. Did not see one bird or any bait at all. They are still catching but mostly gear guys using bait and fishing off the bottom. Did see one old timer hook a nice fish but broke it off. Most of the fishermen down there said that at this time of year fish are deep so if any of you are thinking of going down that way bring your heavy sink tips. Most folks fishing on the beaches thought that the season was really begining to wind down so if you got a need to continue fishing you might want to go further south.

juro
11-16-2000, 12:54 PM
Thanks Steve - NJ is always an option for s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the season out. If I were single I'd... http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Looking at the layout of Cape May (map), it must be a big fish factory being at the mouth of the river and all that. I hear great things about Sandy Hook to the North as well.

I hear the weakfish population is much higher down there and I'll bet the tunoids make a real showing in mid to late summer.

The succession of coastal spits and breaks make it look real fishy....