beginner's tying clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: beginner's tying clave

tomd
11-28-2000, 08:15 AM
if there is an interest from the guys here that are just learning to tie, I'll see what I can do about getting a place to do this, or have it at my house. I am no expert, but can certainly tie well enough to get you off on the right foot. I know how intimidating this can be in the beginning, because it hasn't been too long since I just started. it is also alot quicker to learn from a person than a book. please let me know. Tom D

striblue
11-28-2000, 08:46 AM
Tom, count me in....Thanks

juro
11-28-2000, 09:33 AM
IMHO - it might be best to go with Sully's tying clave because there will be a lot of people, materials, willing advice, and food to boot. There won't be any exclusivity for level of ability there.

On the other hand, if you are planning another tying clave GREAT!

jared
11-28-2000, 09:57 AM
we have a date for Sully's tie-a-clave??

tomd
11-28-2000, 11:06 AM
Juro, This was not meant to step on sully's toes. I meant this more as a primer for sully's clave. I figure during the next few weeks, for those who truly need fundimentals such as how to use the vices,tools, and general info on how to work with materials. this will not be a real tying session per se(not that we won't tie up a fly or 2). not for a big crowd with a hall etc, but a smaller group, which is why I said maybe my house for it. Tom D

juro
11-28-2000, 11:30 AM
No such implication intended Tom, in fact I admire your willingness to hold such an event. I only meant that one should not feel that the Stony Brook event is not open to virgins http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

We're too easy going to think about toe stepping around here, even if it is winter!

thanks for taking the bull by the horns,

Juro

i'm so outta here
11-28-2000, 11:55 AM
As usual, the sign-up is available to anyone who wants to meister a clave. Tom, say the word and I'll set it up.

Improvements to the clave engine -- ones we've already discussed -- will be coming in January. I'm always open to new suggestions.

tomd
11-28-2000, 12:20 PM
thanks Al,
to those that are interested: could you let me know a few times and dates that would be good? I have a few extra vices and tools, so you wouldn't need your own for this, if you don't have them. we could do this at my house some evening if it doesn't get too big. if it does get too big, I'll try to get a larger place, like the skeet shack at my fishing/hunting club in Millis. Tom D