5-5: Seen in my travels... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 5-5: Seen in my travels...

bdowning
05-07-2001, 07:37 AM
This was the breakthrough weekend for (bigger) stripers and even bluefish arrivals. But no one told the schoolies ;-).

Anywho, caught several 28-33 inch stripers at the Canal, a bunch of just under 28 inchers, and have heard reports of slightly bigger ones already on the CC bay flats taken on the fly. They are "rounding the corner."

On the Cape south side I couldn't buy a schoolie from shore, but eating sized blues were plentiful at the spots I was fishing (not flats but channels). Problem was I had to get down deep in a hole and even my extra-fast sinker wouldn't do it in the current. They wanted something squid-like and low. Switched to bucktail jigs without wire and was immediately cut off twice. Other guys better equipped were doing well on 3-5 lbers.

I'm sure by now the south side flats are crawling with them.

-bd

juro
05-07-2001, 08:33 AM
Great news Bill! I've heard more reports of the bayside flats as well - but that north wind kept me off the afternoon low despite big tides. I'll bet Steve Moore is planning his bayside revenge as we speak!

steve moore
05-07-2001, 08:58 AM
I was on tyhe southside yesterday. Despite thew winds it was an incredible day with thousands of blues everywhere and some nice bass thrown in for good measure. Things really opened up yesterday and I was glad I there to see it happen. Bayside flats excursions will start in a week or two.

linesides
05-07-2001, 09:32 AM
WOW! Suddenly... I am starting to feel... really... ill... >cough<.... >wheeze<.... need to stay home...

bdowning
05-07-2001, 12:16 PM
linesides (05-07-2001 10:32 a.m.):
WOW! Suddenly... I am starting to feel... really... ill... >cough<.... >wheeze<.... need to stay home...

Yeah, I think I may have a serious fever by tomorrow ;-)

-bd