North Shore S-L-O-W [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Shore S-L-O-W

juro
09-16-2000, 07:08 PM
Hit Joppa, PI and the Refuge this morning with Bill Hayes. Joppa had a pod of bass emerge east of the moorings (out of range) that worked quickly down to the corner between the island and the lower flat spraying water and getting the birds in a frenzy for about 15 minutes. Other than that it was dead as a doornail. Fall was definitely in the wind.

Highlight - ran into Pete MacNeil, former marine biology student and now private sector guys like most of us... meaning he can't fish for research anymore! http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Moved to PI at the bottom of the tide, only three other groups fishing bait and schoolies were all that was around (and not many of those). Bill got the skunk off and we moved to the refuge.

Gear/bait folks we spoke with reported skunkings all the way down to Sandy Pt. Worked to the north, saw nothing - no bait, no birds, no fish. Decided to save our brownie points for another day, perhaps next weekend down the cape.

If I were the one to judge the north shore this year, I'd say it was abysmal except for the spring rush, and those were mostly micros with a few stouts mixed in. Even that single pod of fish at Joppa was only a fraction of the numbers one would expect for this time of year. Strange year!

Hope some of you fared better,
Juro

i'm so outta here
09-16-2000, 08:31 PM
Upper Cape was just as dead from 6 to 10 Saturday morning.

Got out in the boat with Jen to the Mashnee flats. Saw one pod of Albies working bait close to shore (could have been blues). I did the Whacky Run n' Gun on 'em, but they were gone as soon as the motor wound up.

We saw precious little other than this in the next three hours of wandering from spot to spot. Did see massive amounts of bait in the water. Wasn't much in the mood to dredge deep or blind cast after the Bonelcave, so actually all this report tells you is there was squat for <b>surface</b> action on the West end of the canal and surrounding waters today. Ahhhhh, the folly of convenience.

Anyone fish Bass River this weekend? (!)

I did have a blast catching scup with my three year old on his Snoopy rod http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Happy.gif

al

doug
09-17-2000, 06:27 PM
Juro,
Were you boat or shore fishing?
I went out with Jim Chase for the morning on his boat. We started at Joppa...nothing going. Had a few short strikes across on the Salisbury side. Then we headed outside.
Some fish breaking outside the mouth...ended up getting a first mackeral on the flyrod. Moved back in near the Salisbury side jetty....some decent stripers just outside on flies...no legals.
Headed to southern end of P.I., near Emerson Rocks...nothing doing there, either.
But....as we headed back....birds and breaking fish!
We played leap frog with one boat...then two,then three....etc., etc. Fish were moving pretty fast...never saw what they were feeding on. This went on for a good hour. Casting into a biting wind was a pain in the rear....but sometimes we just couldn't get upwind of them. I don't know what we ended up with, quite few fish to 25-26"...and if for some reason my season was to end today...I'd be happy! Had an approx. 38" bass follow right to the boat...I'll be having "nightmares" over it! :) ...still haven't seen my backing...
Thanks again, Jim!
Doug B.

Lefty
09-17-2000, 07:04 PM
Whew...Thanks Doug, there is some hope yet!

Terry

Bri-RN
09-17-2000, 08:19 PM
Hey Juro,
Sorry to hear that you guys had such a slow day. I don't know if the reason I did so well last week was either; full harvest moon?, beautiful days weds/thurs (prior to rainville on Fri.), or just a larger portion of Silversides grouped on the flats?
Like you stated, both times were on the falling tide about 2 hours prior to low. Once low hit though--it became dead.
Sully, sorry to not get back to you sooner, but I saw Juro gave you the directions. I find it a really fun flats to fish, BUT CLEARLY NOT AS VISABLE as say the flats of N. Monomoy. I believe due to the muddy bottom.
Have the whole w/e of 9/23-9/24. Has anyone thought of hitting some places. either local to Boston or on the Cape?
Eldredge Bros. of Maine is stating that there still are alot of fish around the Kittery/Portsmouth areas. These next 4-6 weeks should be a blast!
Love this time of year!!

grego
09-18-2000, 09:41 AM
Wife, Dog & I hit the Bowl & Joppa on Sat. for the last two hours before evening Low (8:15 PM). Saw a nice sunset & a seal in the river. But, breaking fish & bait was non-existant!