Tunoid leftovers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tunoid leftovers

juro
10-25-2000, 11:46 AM
One distinct trend I've noted since my return is (a) a lot of bonito reports in Rhody and (b) warm weather. Put two and two together and it makes me think of a late run for bonito to Rhody! I have Sat. open... I think... and I'd have to find someone with a boat.

Napatree on a strong tide might do it. Anyway it's Wednesday and time for weekend plans!

Nick
10-25-2000, 11:48 AM
Juro,
I should be able to make it this weekend on Saturday. I could bring my kayak, but I don't think the two of us would fit and I only have one paddlehttp://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif.
Nick

Lefty
10-25-2000, 01:54 PM
Hey, I could call my Uncle Bubba, see how his Bassboat handles the breachways. http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

TerryW

grego
10-25-2000, 02:36 PM
Juro,

I've sort of made plans to stay local this weekend, if you know what I mean (maybe a quick N. Shore run though). But your idea is very, very, tempting.

Quentin
10-25-2000, 06:15 PM
Can't help with the boat, but I may be casting from shore if the weather holds.

GregD
10-25-2000, 09:59 PM
Hi Juro,

I was planning on going out sunday. Might not be a good boating day if the gale backs up on us. I believe you and I have fished near gale conditions before 8-). I have already heard one report of potentially nasty weather coming our way. Naturally the source of the report was the wife trying to get me to give up on this fishing this weekend. Also if the coast is under siege, we could chase some rainbow out west of home too. I'm afraid it's going to take a whole lot more than a little ol storm to stop me from going fishin. http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif.

Greg.

juro
10-25-2000, 11:33 PM
Greg -

I haven't been following the weather, sounds like you have and we're looking at a storm coming in for the weekend. If it's a sou'wester we'd be in trouble on the Rhody coast.

I heard from Harry Koons at Nauset Angler that after a 10 day slump the cows are back on the backside beaches.

Small fish all over the place 24" class in Chatham still, which means there will be some big fish around as well provided the bait is still inside. Mean zero low, same as the last time we hit it - good access to big girl at 8:45 low; night tide minus.

Bayside flats run would be ideal, most likely small fish but if the pogies are in the area... just as the day warms the flats would bare all. If the storm is Nor'east or involves lightning, don't go there.

Southside "home waters" is alive this time of year, lots of shorts and an occasional submarine is the drill. The tease there is the subs chase the shorts in when you hook 'em and drive you crazy!

North shore pogie biomass is a ticking clock waiting to go nuclear! With the weather being as it is, all warming estuaries have the potential of holding late season fish way beyond nature's calendar call. You should've seen the blitz I saw today from the air... (other post).

Another thrill for the taking... brood stock salmon are getting ready for stocking in area ponds. Great chance to troll a streamer or cast early from shore to find something that really rips the line and leaps to the sky... even if they are manufactured fish (sorry, just went to BC). Good sport though and awareness of eastern salmonids is a good thing.

Lots of schoolie action from B-Bay to the southwest, Al's and Roops homewaters are alive with migrating fish right now.

Then there's Rhody and the prospect of greenbacks before the season fades...

juro
10-26-2000, 12:12 AM
Greg -

Weather looks good... <!--http--><a href="http://www.weather.com/weather/cities/us_ri_westerly.html" target="_blank">HERE</a><!--url-->

http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Happy.gif

i'm so outta here
10-26-2000, 08:02 AM
Juro/Greg,

I heard even if the storm passes to our east, seas are going to be turbulent. Not a place for my 14' skiff.

Jen just released me from my Maine obligations, but I'm wondering if I should go with her anyway, check out the north shore pogie situation on the way, and save it up for next weekend.

I've heard that while the cows are back on the outer beaches, they won't take flies and only the eel guys are scoring. Big surf this weekend.

So many choices, so little brain left to decide http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

al

striblue
10-26-2000, 09:09 AM
Juro, I will be going to Chatham next weekend...Nov. 3,4 &5 to clean up the cottage. Do you think it would be possible that the cut will still produce? from what I am reading here it sounds like it still might.. I would rather do that than go to School House Pond or Goose pond for trout. But, this would be the farthest out in the season I would have tried for stripers. What do you or any of the other guys think from what you all have heard. Thanks

juro
10-26-2000, 09:13 AM
Al -

The cows are on the backside beaches but won't take flies? When I hear that I can't help but think "conventional thinking again". I can't get myself to think that the fish know the difference between a well-presented fly and a well-presented bait. Whoever made such an assessment must really know bass http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

Talk about lumping into a category! I say bull, I might just go out there to prove otherwise.

Juro

juro
10-26-2000, 09:38 AM
John -

Let me check my calendar, I might join you weather provided. Harry Koons caught his last bass last year on December 11 from Nauset Inlet, a 36" fish on a fly. I had a mid-November day on the bayside (Chapin / Bass Hole) that was epic, and fished to nearly Thanksgiving on the Rhody coast the two years prior. I think that weekend is easily within the realm of possibility.

Need any help closing down the Chatham Anglers' Society HQ?

i'm so outta here
10-26-2000, 09:48 AM
John - there are plenty of fish around. I'd try for the big line pull out at the cut or a little further north. Maybe I'll see you out there if the weather cooperates

Juro - PLEASE! We've all seen situations where bass get clued in on one particular kind of presentation or bait, and I'm just pasasing on some info. It worked to my advantage out at big girl bar. I was hooking cows and the spin guys were grinding their teeth.

Nick
10-26-2000, 10:35 AM
I would love to witness a little contest out at the bar this weekend.http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif I can just stand to the side and soak up all the knowledge I can. Sounds great to me. Where do I sign up?

FredA
10-26-2000, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm taking Friday off and will either go to Big Girl bar (about an 8:00AM low I believe)or explore around Buzzards Bay or maybe both. If I have enoegh time (engagement tommorow night) I'll post a report.

Regards,
Fred A

juro
10-26-2000, 12:53 PM
Al -

Did you think I was directing my rebuttal at you? I was sharing my brash defiance with a fellow rebel - but since I started with "Al -" I guess it could have unintentionally come across that way.

To be clear, I was saying "no way do I accept that those claims you heard from <b>others</b> as credible" and highlighting that whoever gave you that conclusion based it on <b>their</b> own experiences on behalf of all of us... "not taking flies", etc.

HUMBUG! http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

i'm so outta here
10-26-2000, 01:12 PM
Well, Juro, here's hoping your unconventional thinking out performs their conventional gear. I think I hear Ray and the Rhody coast calling me. I'm heading south this weekend barring gale force winds.

striblue
10-26-2000, 04:43 PM
Juro, I will be down in Chatham next Thursday night and Friday night, probably heading back to Boston on Saturday... So, I will confirm with you next week, but if you are coming down you are more than welcome to stay at the "Chatham Anglers Club" if you have no other place. Let me know, but it looks like I will try the Cut or the outer beaches or both on Friday and maybe Saturday am. The dates again are The nights of Nov. 2 and 3 and the days ofNov. 3 and 4.

GregD
10-26-2000, 05:34 PM
Well I too am going to get out tommorow, especially with the poor looking forcast for this weekend. If the Cows are on the outer cape beaches and plenty of fish around chatham perhaps monomoy rip could produce some nice fish. I also like the sound of getting a parting shot at those tuniods.

It was about this time last year, I pulled out of sesuit harbor on the bayside and a giant bluefin come out of the water and eyeballed me right next to the boat. So I expect there are some still around.

Marine forcast suggests a gale wind and waves will be picking up tomorrow night through sunday. Maybe I'll hit south shore/Monomoy in the AM and checkout Paynes or Billingsgate shoals in the afternoon. Anyone have a current report about fish activity on Monomoy or Billingsgate shoals?

Thanks,
Greg.

juro
10-26-2000, 08:49 PM
Greg -

I checked weather.com and they did not report any storms. Which direction is the storm coming from? URLS to review?

I hope to break away for Sat AM but am busy Sun w/ family obligations.

Nick -

Just follow the thread, and I will give you a buzz on the cell phone if things gel.

John -

Just send email but I hope to hook up on the Nov. 3 or 4 thing. Once again, let me know if you need help winterizing.

Fred -

Look forward to your report. Hope you slam 'em.

Quentin -

If you go to Rhody, you just might end up with a greenback! Probably the last shot at bonito for the year. Good luck.

Al -

Good luck with Ray. Hope the wind lays low, and I might be on the breachways.

GregO -

That pogie pile is a time bomb waiting to go off up there on the north shore! If you find the bass they will surely be eating and right on the beach.

Amazing the choices we have for the time of year... I am leaning toward Rhody since I missed the clave. Still a little up in the air though, might have a Sat afternoon appt, which changes everything.

Juro

TinMan
10-26-2000, 09:34 PM
<!--http--><a href="http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=charlestown%2C+ri" target="_blank"> Looks hopeful to me! </a><!--url-->

artb
10-26-2000, 10:35 PM
I took my kayak today to Napatree, the only problem was, I didn't put it in the water. The fog didn't lift until about 11AM. There was albies, which I think were Bonita, about two casts off of the jetty in back of the swim club. I had my GPS with me, but didn't want to get run over. Drove the beaches from East Beach to Watch Hill Beach no one had fish from shore. There was some fish off of Noyas Point which is just east of Weekapaug.Beautiful day, but fish don't like beautiful days.

GregD
10-26-2000, 11:01 PM
Hi Art,

Thanks for posting that report from your experience today. I have only had the pleasure of fishing down there a few times, so I really appreciate all the posts about RI. It's closer than Chatham for me, which means more fishing time. But I don't know my way around to well down there yet.
I wish I could have made it last weekend only I was sick with fever.

Thanks,
Greg

i'm so outta here
10-26-2000, 11:10 PM
Greg,

Thanks for the offer. Sounds way too good to pass up. Sunday would work for me, but I don't want to be greedy. Ray Stachelek has generously offered to take me out Saturday. I'm all for a double header this weekend, but if there's someone else you know who needs to get out once more before the season fades, I will gladly step down.

Art,

Good call on the fog situation. Wouldn't want you to become someone's bow ornament ;)

Al

GregD
10-27-2000, 11:40 PM
I couldn't resist checking out Point Judith, Rhode Island today after Arts eyewitness account of tuniods around. I too, saw some Bonita, tend to think it was the same group going back and forth along shore. They seemed to run from the galilee side of the point Judith Harbor breaker to the jettys past the breechway to the west today. Managed a couple of close encounters, But no hookups. Would have had a couple more if people didn't drive into/over the fish. Too bad more people don't do a half circle around the fish then move up ahead and set-up. I had one perfect set trashed by a run and gun style pursuit, get's alittle frustrating sharing sometimes.

Didn't see any fish caught with the exception of what appeared to be a shad of the dock. Lot's of guys fishing along the beach not much happening when I looked.

The fog lifted about the same time as yesterday judging by Art's Launch time 11am. I started from the ramp at 10:30, before that though it was too thick unless you have radar in my opinion.

I stopped and collected a few of those killer plastic bags floating among the jellyfish today. Turtles mistake them for jellyfish, plastic bags are lethal in most cases when ingested by marine creatures.

Great directions and info from the Clave by the way, made getting to Point Judith a breeze. I only wish I had charts for the area, alittle uncomfortable getting too close along shore running wide open with those big boulders around.

Greg.