: South Tip Rip Trip
OK - we have had a nice passive outing on South Beach and North Monomoy, even did some big surf stuff on the side at Race Point; the spring clave was a kick but...
The South Island rip calls! Once again, the chance to gather as wild-eyed individuals to converge on the wildest part of our region beckons.
Here's a place where giant bass frequent a double haul from the sand. Here's a place where the offshore rips meet the sand, and all manner of gamefish gather to feast in the mixing pot between Nantucket Sound and the atlantic.
It's a dangerous place; the currents are as fierce as any in the open sea; but there are coves and shoals to the northwest; and ocean surf to the northeast for times when the currents are too much on the tip. There is no room to abandon caution, but then there never is.
Commercial fishermen tell tales of cow bass feeding on sand eels a roll cast from the shore; I have seen fish explode bait so close to shore I wanted to be dropped off... but the west and east shores of South Monomoy are equally intriguing to me. Here, the fish have not seen much attention in comparison to the residents on North Monomoy. The shoals to the west have been a hotspot for flats boat guides and their clients. I would imagine there are plenty of fish there for us to tease from shore. On the east, any bowls or shoals should hold fish feeding in the promimity of the tidal inferno to the south.
The concept of being some of the first to fish from shore in this wild place is intriguing enough all by itself.
The fare is $300 for the boat w/ up to 12 people.
John Morin and I are in for certain so far.... WHO WILL JOIN US?
06-27-2000, 11:43 AM
What date(s) are you looking at ??
Dates are flexible, my first guess would be an 11am low tide to give us a hard rushing outgoing morning tide at the rip, warm sound water pushing into the shoals followed by access to the shoals on the west side at low near the drop off point (Powder Pt) for a lunchtime picnic; then a hard rushing incoming tide through the afternoon bringing cold atlantic current from the east side. July 8/9 or 22/23 fall into that category.
The opposite would work in terms of rip tides, both sides of the high. The trench between shore and the outer bar on the west side just might fill up with big fish on the flood... one never knows. This weekend, also July 14/15, 29/30th all fall into that category.
Waiting for August would put the likelihood of Bonito in the rips as well as bass and blues; but who can wait that long?
The best date will be the date when we have enough people to reduce the charter cost to a reasonable rate.
Any more adventurous individuals want to share the boat ride?
06-27-2000, 01:46 PM
I'm in for the later dates. End of July is best. I can probably get one other person to join in. -Jim
Default; Roop's in.
Unless he finds a job (not looking too hard)
For safety's sake, should we limit the number fishermen so we can keep track of everybody?
06-27-2000, 03:55 PM
Before we let the lore carry us away let's list exactly what the dangers are and the best way to confront them. Rips are dangerous for those who stand in them. I typically don't. Fog is dangerous, so bring a compass, take occasional readings if you're wading flats. What else? Tics, poison ivy, dehydration. There will also be plenty of hiking I assume. The one thing that surprised me on the North Mon. trip was the ammount of hiking. I'm in good shape so I didn't mind it so much, but there was a lot. So one might need to find the balance between having everything for a safe trip yet light enough to walk 4 miles through sand. Anything else?
Good point Terry...
There are four basic categories of structure there (according to observations from a boat).
(a) <b>The rips</b> here are different than other places. This island violates the concept of offshore rips by being in the 'mixer' zone between two very large bodies of water, the sound and the sea. It would not be a good idea to stand in the water anywhere around the very apex of the southern tip during hard running tides. Standing waves are present just a short distance from shore. The mouth of the Merrimac is nothing to balk at either, but at least you are likely to float to the shore anywhere 100 yards short of the jetty. The volumes of water make PI look like a picnic. The canal is no picnic either, in fact it's closer to the conditions at the tip's rips. Now that I have sufficiently made a point, I agree - if you don't stand in it you won't be swept away.
(b)<b>Flats</b> appear to be located in a line from Powder Point north to join the expansive flats reaching southwest from the crib opposite to North Monomoy. The lower area near Powder Pt. seem to be fishable, accessible, and close enough to the convergence zone to host good fish. Just a guess.
The line of flats reaching northward are risky at best, there is a deep trench between shore and the flat making it a definite risk to wade out before a flood tide.
The flats at the northwest end are the classic flats, but they are miles away from the launch point to the north, perhaps 3-4 miles each way - not likely that I would hike that far in warm weather.
Therefore my flats fishing off the tip would be focused on the area around the cove and shoals near Powder Pt. Your results may vary.
(c)<b> The surf</b> on the east side reaches from the tip north, and I am sure there are many bowls, shoals and other characteristic ocean beach structures with lots of fish in them. This would be the classic surf fishing situation, and it could be loaded with fish at the right times / tides.
I would have to try it just to say I did. Once again, I feel the proximity to the 'mixer' (play on words based on a famous pool on the Skagit River, WA) would make this area more productive than a typical ocean beach.
So <b>Safety</b> depends on where you elect to fish; each has it's risks. The flats around Powder Pt. are not well known and the trench between the flat and shore presents a trap on incoming tides.
Long walks north can dehydrate hikers and there are no unscheduled shuttles down there.
<b>In the rip</b>, suspended sand banks in the current looking like they offer footing (but being liquid) can be a waders demise. Cavalier wading in the raging current is a definite no-no. The best way to fish this area is to work the fly in the eddies and recesses in the fringes of the current; or lay the fly on the sand beneath the current and work it on the sand. If the fish are pushing bait, poppers and other profile flies could trick the blitzers.
<b>The surfside</b> presents the same risks that Race Point or Nauset presents. Nothing unique in this, I would imagine.
<font size="1">These are simply theoretical predictions based on past observation from a boat. I have no experience with my feet on this sand and am not implying that I have any such knowledge. I am only trying to provide educated guesses to mitigate risk factors for individuals who may elect to ride with us out there.</font><!--1-->
I could definately be in if it was during the las 2 weeks in august.... want them bones... Tom D
06-28-2000, 08:45 AM
I'm definitely in for the end of July- kids will be away then, meaning no birthdays or soccer tournaments to screw up my fishing schedule http://220.127.116.11/images/flytalk/Happy.gif
06-28-2000, 01:08 PM
I'm going to try like hell to make it....the earlier we can pick tides/dates the better.
06-28-2000, 09:36 PM
I would really like to give you the opportunity to scout the area first. I am in the middle of installing a new engine in the boat. Some Major bad luck ! Should be done tomorrow. i would like to cancel the date we made - maybe we already had ? Can I call you or email you. I am not sure what numbers were work or home. Maybe you can call me and we will get it worked out.
Bruce - thanks for the heads up and the invite... it would be a good idea to scout the area first, definitely! Bob and I were looking forward to testing our squid flies in the rips but it looks like we should postpone to another day. Being fishermen, patience comes easy and we understand the importance of boat upkeep as well as the inevitable snafu's that occur. Just let us know when it works best for you and we'll be ready. Best of luck getting things back to normal.
I'll give a call tomorrow (Thurs) evening.
06-29-2000, 02:50 AM
This sounds too good. I might have to head east for such an adventure. I read a cool story in a saltwater magazine about a guy who had a fishing shack on monomoy. The good old days...for the author. Can you camp there? Later is better for me, but I could probably sneek off for a long weekend. Eddie
06-29-2000, 10:29 PM
The new engine has been installed and I put the boat back on the mooring tonight. A 4 day engine and drive replacement !! Its all so shiny and new !!! More Power and more efficiency too. $15 K though.
I await your call.
PS: I need to figure out how to put a signature here.
Depending on the date, count me in. Will be first 'Clave. Not the world's greatest flycaster, but can fling a clouser once in a while.
07-01-2000, 10:53 AM
If it is going to be the 15 count me in, and I have a friend Mark Spilker that would like to go to.
TIME TO GET SERIOUS...
We are now getting serious about the South Monomoy Tip trip...
Please read the associated post announcing the details.