weymouth and duxbury [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: weymouth and duxbury

tomd
08-06-2000, 10:30 AM
well, I hit the back river area, and Webb park last night ...nada. the only peaple catching fish were the guys chunking if the docks in Hewitt's. I packed up the yak and headed for Duxbury. the flats were alive with bait(small 1-3 inch), I couldn't be borrow or steal a bite!!! used all kinds of flies, different colors, and retreives. so much bait they stayed with the hatch. breaking fish all around me in 1-2 ft of water... ARGH!!! the skunk bit me. Tom D

Tod D
08-07-2000, 08:37 AM
Tom,

If it's any consolation, I managed 4 nights out last week on the north end of Duxbury Bay, surrounded by bait & breaking fish and only brought fish to hand 1 night. Small fish too: 14"-18" with an occasional 20" thrown in.

Got paid back with interest though Sunday morning. Fished the a.m. outgoing tide around Bug Light and got into schools of rampaging stripers. Nice fish - 24"-30" - and a goodly amount of them. You name it they hit it: poppers, half-&-halfs, clousers, epoxy minnows. Had constant hook-ups for an hour, then the sun & boats picked up and seemed to put the fish down.

juro
08-07-2000, 08:53 PM
Sounds like fish are getting settled in on the South Shore... hope this is the beginning of a great fall fishery in the area. I wouldn't mind learning more about the area (than I already know), sometimes the extra drive to the cape is painful.

tomd
08-09-2000, 09:34 AM
I agree Juro, 45 mins beats an hour and a half any day. I may frequently give up a few more fish to get a few more hours of sleep(though I usually stay way too long). :o)
Tom D

P.S. Juro, and others, would be glad to do some fishing here with you. though it can drive you nuts.