Baja fish story [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Baja fish story

Howzer
06-25-2001, 08:57 PM
Okay, this is anything but a steelhead report. But I thought some of you might enjoy a little story about fishing a few km north of the Tropic of Cancer. The first week of June I spent two days walking the beaches on the East Cape of Baja, fly fishing the Gulf of California with a 10wt. I only caught a few fish, but the one pictured below was the strongest fish I've ever hooked.
"http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~mantua/BAJA/baja03_01.jpg"

For a few more pictures and a more detailed account, go to:
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~mantua/BAJA

After landing this fish, I quit for the day. I needed a swim and
a couple of cold Pacificos.

The next afternoon I was walking the same beach. I almost lived a repeat performance. A slightly smaller Jack was ripping up and down the surf zone, and I dropped another clouser in front of him. He picked it up, I set the hook and thought "here we go again!" It was exciting for just a few seconds. The fish started ripping line out of my stripping basket but the hook pulled free. I didn't get another shot at a Jack that afternoon or the next morning.

juro
06-25-2001, 09:07 PM
AWESOME! I enjoyed all of the pics as well. Nice work Holmes. Next time I get the chance I am going to have to wrestle one of those speedsters.

BTW - is that the 10wt 4pc RPL? I am considering the 10wt 4pc VPS, presumably the same blank. How do you like it?

NrthFrk16
06-26-2001, 01:54 AM
Great pictures!!

Howzer
06-26-2001, 02:44 PM
That rod is a 2 piece 1090 RPL. Not a pleasure to pack on the airplane, and Dylan tells me that the new 4-pc sage saltwater rods are awesome, but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Les Johnson also warned that my Lampson drag might melt down if I got into too many fish, but it held just fine on that one Jack. One of these days I'll get a good saltwater reel.

juro
06-26-2001, 02:47 PM
The Lamson bonefish, permit and tarpon reels would be better for that job. They had a big game cork drag.

I wish Waterworks would just put the new conical delrin drag into the old LP body! Good ol' fashioned meat-and-potatoes bar stock aesthetics with the space age silky smooth big fish drag... I'd be happy as the proverbial pig in slop.