Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tying without Clouser eyes

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
After a 1/2 season of really looking at Sandeels, I (like some others) are refining my Sand Eel patterns. I want to use a nose cone for deep sink or none for regular. I also think the dumbells just look foolish the way they stick out. I had an idea using olive and grey bucktail and some natural colored yak hair. I tied it up and it looks deadly but...without the barbell eyes the hook will be pointing down scraping bottom.
Is there another method to achieve this? Juro mentioned a new material to me... details?

Thanks,
Terry

G
#2 ·
Terry - I'm certainly no expert, but I've had great luck with the bendback. This is the same technique which makes the Prince of Tides ride hook up (see Roops post in the fly pattern archive).

Take a 1/0 34007 and make a small bend in the shank about 1/4" before the eye. A pair of pliers is all that's needed for this. Grip by the shank, point hook, and push until the bent section is parallel with the plane of the point and tip of the eye. Tie bucktail onto the 1/4" section so that it covers the point. The natural buoyancy of deer hair will keep it riding hook up.

Not sure if this will work with synthetics, so you may be limited to 4" or less for sand eel patterns. A coating of epoxy on the head will give it greater sink potential, but you'll have to distribute it well below the eye to keep it riding hook up. I'll experiment with this myself and we can compare notes later.

Al

#3 ·
Good topic! I am a TMC / Daichi hook guy, so my preference is to purchase the Tiemco 411s bendback SWFF hooks. I prefer the higher quality of these brands to other hooks despite the big difference in price. My favorite all-around hook is the 811s TMC. The long shank choice is 911s. I am not too fond of the stout / short 800's myself.

Anyway, I've been having great luck with the 411s bendback for eyeless sandeels that ride point up. The tricks to this are (1) tie more wing material on the side you want to ride up (2) use dense material to keel the side you want to ride down.

My latest technique is to wrap chrome tinsel over the shank, then wrap over it with jelly rope, a clear thick cord that is crystal clear. This emulates the silvery rib / abdomen area of a sand eel. Even easier is the clear plastic half cord already impregnated with silver on one side. I bought the roll at a craft store for short money. In any case, it makes for a 'jelly belly' wrap that weights the keel.

Next, tie the layers of material white-side down, layered with a little flash and a hint of chartruese, then olive back. Deerhair floats like crazy, but the trick works fine with synthetics as long as there is more material above the centerline and a keel of dense material below. The finished fly rides correctly and has the added appeal of a realistic abdomen, which triggers more strikes.

I'll post an image as a reply to this thread later...

#4 ·
Hi Terry,
You might want to take a look at Bob Popovics Jiggy pattern for a sandeel imitation utilizing a nose cone. You can find it here: http://www.fishufa.com/Bobs_Jiggy_page.cfm

Jeff Smith has a similar pattern he calls a Well Diggers Arse, which he uses in the outer beach surf. They both are very effective. Especially now with all the sandeels about.

If you look at a silverside closely from above, you will notice that the body is almost transparent. The most discernable features are the eyes. Low and behold, they look just like Clouser eyes on a fly. Maybe thats why Clousers are so effectivee!

#5 ·
Terry, another way is to use your hook, lay a layer of thread on the shank and then put head cement on it, place a double layer of .30 lead (or a substitute) along the back side and cover with thread or body braid and cement again then tie in your wing on the side you want up. when we saw Lefty at the UFT meeting remember he said to only tie material on the side of a clouser that you want riding up. good luck, Tom D

#7 ·
ssully, sounds like a cheaper way to go then buying .30 lead . did you have good luck with the nymphs? was wondering if the rosin might leak out and make them taste like crap to the fish. Tom D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.