first fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: first fly

skyrise
06-22-2001, 10:08 PM
Just wondering what your first fly might be out of the box and onto the leader. Bright day, do you go with a bright pattern? Cloudy day, do put on that black fly? Or is it the bomber first?
I dont have any killer patterns or seceret flys used only when no one is around.
So whats your first choice? Or does it matter?

andre
06-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Early or late in the day it's Muddler/OC if no direct sun light is on the water.

juro
06-25-2001, 06:06 PM
skyrise (06-22-2001 10:08 p.m.):
Just wondering what your first fly might be out of the box and onto the leader. Bright day, do you go with a bright pattern? Cloudy day, do put on that black fly? Or is it the bomber first?
I dont have any killer patterns or seceret flys used only when no one is around.
So whats your first choice? Or does it matter?

You knew it was coming so here it is - "it depends!" ;-)

If it's a bright day fishing in rapids, I go with a sedge muddler or a black rat or something that will act crazy and try to invoke a strike on top before trying everything in the box.

If it's a long bouldery holding run I will go with a sparse dark spey fly or a light pink pupae/prawn wet fly before trying everything in the box.

If it's the same long bouldery run that evening I will get a little bolder about fly selection, like a bigger dark with bright highlight color - freight train, or marabou winged wet flies ribbed with flash in purple or black. Better yet, if it's late August or September it's a great time to riffle hitch a sedge pattern on the surface.

If it's mid-day and I am just biding time I will fish caddis pupa wets, spiders in soft holding water or wiggle sculpin patterns in faster water. Actually, a simple olive wooly bugger has done wonders for me mid-day on rivers like the Kalama.

Not much help eh? }>