So... what's next? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: So... what's next?

juro
09-13-2000, 06:22 PM
There's so much to do... I just got some great photos back from Boneclave, but Monomoy still hasn't even been put up... and there's a lot of good stuff sent in by people that needs to be published yet dating back even further. Some have said to me "it'll be a long winter" and I agree, I plan to take my passion for being on the water to the site when old man winter comes calling. I guess we need to find a producer who doesn't fish! http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif Seriously, it would be good to find a way to share the load with some of you this winter.

That being said, what's next?

I'd like to:

a) hit the point rip one last time (tunoids there now, day trip)

b) Rhode Island Octoberfest (Rhodyfest), an overnighter (Sat/Sun)

c) Outer Limits (Chatham to P-town, backside), an overnighter (Sat/Sun)

d) yakbone would be a good thing to try now... the fish are inshore all over the south side. Maybe at Woods Hole (Josko showed us how) (day trip)

e) Rip Ryder Rap-up Trip - one more tribute to the mecca (day trip)

f) Brewster Flats Primer - how to do the bayside in style (day trip)

... all this in addition to fishing the pacific northwest for the elusive steelhead on a fly.

Are there enough weekends in the year to fit that all in?

Juro

ssully
09-13-2000, 08:33 PM
Juro,

1.) Do you know of any good marriage counselors?

2.) Better yet divorce Lawyers?

3.) Headhunters?

http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

i'm so outta here
09-13-2000, 08:51 PM
Ain't it funny how fishing breeds more fishing...... I got the itch to fish some more, too. But it's strictly day trips (half at that) until I get caught up with family and work. I would like to catch the pods on their return trip through Whacky. It would be nice to see if their finickiness has worn off. That's if it even happens this year. For now, I'm back to schoolies and the occasional cow at night in favorite haunts.

Quentin
09-13-2000, 10:01 PM
I can still feel the boat rocking beneath my feet and see the baitfish scattering, trying to put as much distance and as many other baitfish between themselves and the supercharged predators slashing through the water behind them. Is it a memory or a dream? Does it matter? What I do know is that I'm not even close to done yet. I got a late start fishing the saltwater this year, and I intend to stretch the season out for as long as possible. Surprisingly, I actually caught more exotics than blues and stripers during my week on the Cape, so even after our fair weather friends head south I'll be looking forward to a few chilly mornings and evenings of fishing for schoolies and shad as we go into November. I plan to do as many marathon day trips to the Cape, Rhody and Connecticut shorelines as my schedule will allow. Count me in for the Rhodyfest, and if I don't get a chance to join you for any of the other organized events, perhaps I'll bump into some of you on the beaches, breachways or canal.

Quentin

juro
09-13-2000, 10:04 PM
If I were to pick dates...

a) Point rip - only decent tides are mid-week, decent tide on Sat the 23rd... <font color="0000ff">any takers?</font><!--color-->

b) Rhode Island Octoberfest (Rhodyfest), an overnighter (Sat/Sun). Option would be Sat evening / Sun morning -or- day trip only. <font color="0000ff">Suggest October 21-22, dawn/dusk highs with outgoing thru the late morning and incoming thru the afternoon.</font><!--color-->

c) Outer Limits (Chatham to P-town, backside), an overnighter (Sat/Sun). Definitely a Sat evening / Sun morning thing. Day trippers can join, hardcores can do extra duty as they wish. <font color="0000ff">Suggest Sat/Sun Oct 8-9</font><!--color-->

d) yakbone would be a good thing to try now... the fish are inshore all over the south side. Maybe at Woods Hole (Josko showed us how) (day trip) - this weekend would be ideal, the tunoids are on the second stage of their cape strafe (Craigville to Chatham). <font color="0000ff">Suggest 9-23, morning high, outgoing thru mid-day and incoming thru the afternoon.</font><!--color-->

e) Rip Ryder Rap-up Trip - one more tribute to the mecca (day trip). No special plans necessary, but it would be nice to fill the boat and go early. <font color="0000ff">Suggest 9-16 or 9-17 (this weekend). Tides: morning outgoing on South Beach and mid-afternoon high on the North Flats.</font><!--color-->

f) Brewster Flats Primer - how to do the bayside in style (day trip). as the fall progresses the bayside shoreline gets incredible. <font color="0000ff">Suggest Sat, Sept. 30 (minus tide in the AM).</font><!--color-->

All weekends, no big events just get togethers (except for Rhody which is kinda big by default; Outer Limits is the two-hander clave).

Making a few of these should help deal with the deep freeze that's coming...

FrenchCreek
09-13-2000, 10:21 PM
What's next?
One extra week vacation time next year, must coordinate the MonomoyTipRipClave with the BoneClave and the RhodyClave all in 3 consecutive week ends!
I have been reading the various threads and envy all who made the BoneClave trip and those who will do the Rhody Clave. Best of luck for the rest of the season, meanwhile I'll be whacking my Rainbows, Cutties and Browns.
Pete from Calgary

juro
09-13-2000, 10:47 PM
Pete -

The envy is mutual. Say why don't you put together a clave out there? We'd love to see the journal... I am familiar with the beauty of the wild wild west and can't get enough.

BTW - had a double wood at camp the other night, much obliged.

Juro

doug
09-14-2000, 05:36 AM
Juro,
Count me in, as interested in the yakbone trip. I am already planning a Sunday, Sept. 24 trip with my kayak. Have two friends jockeying for the second seat in the kayak. I'll send you an email.
Doug B.

FredA
09-14-2000, 07:50 AM
Sully's points are a slap of reality in the face. Having said that:

A Rip Trip would be nice - even have a vacation day I could use for that.

I couldn't allow myself to miss a Brewster Flats primer.

I've yet to fish the outer beach with a fly rod - I've gotta try that.

I was thinking of doing the walk around Monomoy this weekend but a Saturday night dinner engagement has probably squashed Saturday as an option. Sunday - if I don't wake up with a headache ...

Fred A.

TinMan
09-14-2000, 11:03 AM
Due to my lack of actually catching significant fish during my vacation and showing her ssully's post, I will be available for any Saturday day trip or any overnight starting this weekend and every other weekend thereafter (she works Sunday's bi-weekly).

Make the plans and they will come.

DaveP
09-14-2000, 12:46 PM
J,

So what's wrong with a mid-week Rip Trip?.... 8~)

Rip Trip - Sunday the 24th would be better (wedding to attend Friday p.m.). But then, waking up on time wouldn't be an issue.

Thinking about a South Beach multi-stop trip this weekend:
- Lighthouse - 5:00(ish) - 7:15
- South Beach surf - 8:15 - 11:30(ish)
- Flats - 11:50 - ? Hopefully the fish are back, I really really need to stalk something!!
An early Rip Rider ride sounds great too......

In Vermont weekend of October 7-8.

All other trips sound great. Keep me posted! Still haven't caught a Stripper (or exotic..) from my canoe!!

I'm sure you'll let me know what you've signed me up for &lt;grin&gt;.

DP

striblue
09-14-2000, 03:58 PM
Juro, As always I would love to do one more rip trip particularly since the Last one was cancelled and would also like the back side cape day, Yak day or Brewster flats. If you finalize some sort of schedule I will respond ASAP. But please count me in for a rip trip (Maybe with Son 1, if he can), Thanks. Again, I can make my place available if there are those that want to come the night before or whatever.

craig
09-14-2000, 06:17 PM
hey guys

count me in on the rip trip

Craig

FredA
09-14-2000, 07:30 PM
In case my previous post was vague:

Consider me commited to a Rip Trip, weekend or weekday.

I was informed that Saturday nights dinner engagement will be an early night so I will head to Chatham early Sunday. I havn't fished South Beach yet so it would be nice to follow knowlegble people around. Otherwise I'll head to North and do the clockwise tour. I've been kinda fixated on the channel between North and South Monomoy and this will probably be the last opportunity for me to catch the am outgoing.

A Brewster Flats primer would be great. If it happens I'm in.

Regards,
Fred A.

grego
09-15-2000, 11:13 AM
(1) I have not made it out to the South Rip yet (mainly due to health issues).

(2) Rhodey is a MUST.

(3) Outer-Limits -- possible coordination w/ Jeff's Down Cape Board ??

I will do (2) & (3) whether there's a Clave or not.
Just my $0.02

juro
09-15-2000, 12:22 PM
My plans - I have wade trip/charter in the morning on Saturday, visiting my Mom in the afternoon before she flies out Sunday AM. Sunday, I'd like to head to the Cape but it's up to the big boss (yep, the wife). I'm into negative brownie points by now.... it's gonna be a l-o-o-o-o-n-n-g winter!

Cape venue - if STRIPERS...

First light at the light, 4:30 - 7:15.

Coffee then Rip Ryder to South Beach -or- North Monomoy (both have good low tide spots if you know where they are).

Late incoming North Monomoy, west side. High tide 3-3:30ish in the pm

Steamers and drafts in Chatham 5:30pm, should be easy to get seating now.

If TUNOIDS...

Yakbone, midcape (south). "Secret spots" revealed if interested, email. Some kind of floating device needed.

My fingers are crossed!

jim o
09-15-2000, 12:22 PM
I'm already heading down cape for the columbus weekend gig with Jeff S., but count me in on any Rhodey trip.
Jim O

Lefty
09-18-2000, 11:24 AM
Juro,

In response to your date picks: Oct. 21-22 for Rhody works for me!

Terry

juro
09-18-2000, 11:39 AM
ArtB - How's that date work for you?

artb
09-19-2000, 06:15 AM
Oct 21,& 22 OK by me. Are you going to have boats, or is strictly shore ? I will try to get my son, to take a day off. I will see if a good friend who has a charter boat also. I don't want to approach them without something that is pretty positive. I expect to go down to the area tomorrow to look around, drive the beach, see whats going on. Being laid up I haven't got to many good reports. I know one thing, and that is it has not been a very good year.
Right now the bass, and blues are up in Narragansett Bay, There is plenty of bait. There is fish all the way up to Providence, and Pawtucket,one report I saw was that schoolies were on the flat at Omega Pond.
I will give a report tomorrow evening when I get back from the Watch Hill area.