Small squid? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Small squid?

juro
07-08-2000, 10:01 PM
Occasionally... frequently on Monomoy today the fish would bust in groups with abandon regardless of the time of day. During this, pale pink/tan bait would fly from the water amidst the percussive water spray. They initially appeared to be silversides in a blonde tone, about four inches long and with greater than usual girth as many species have when they reach maturity. They had a very specific leap, hanging like slow motion in the air... not like herring, which have distinct silvery color and a leaf/petal shape; unlike pogies, which flip ass-over teakettle when attacked - but instead translucent pink/tan 'floaters'.

I've seen large squid under attack, which looked totally different. But could these be 4 inch squid on the flats?

bigcat988
07-09-2000, 05:16 AM
Sure looked like squid to me?

juro
07-09-2000, 11:18 AM
Wouldn't want to resort to a stomach pump... does it come in striper size? Maybe my wife's turkey baster? http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

JohnM
07-10-2000, 12:13 PM
Juro:

A few weeks back, I had a chance to fish the Middle grounds with a buddy who guides on the Vineyard. When we where out in the rip, a large squid pattern brought only occassional strikes and looks. When we switched to a yellow/tan 4 inch squid pattern, we got hits litterally every other cast. We then saw some real pigs of bass and blues chasing the squid in a curl of a wave only 15 feet from the boat and saw that the squid they where chasing where indeed small yellow/tan versions.

Also, If I remember correctly, my buddy Paul was using a squid pattern in the channel below the drop-off at Monomoy on the 30th and hooked up about 5 times on a small squid pattern while I fished a deep sand eel next to him and went fishless at that spot......

John

RandyJones
07-10-2000, 08:44 PM
Ive found handfulls of squid in eel grass after the high in 2-4 inch range before on Monomoy. Took several nice ones today on a 4 1/2 inch squid. Not on the flats.

Randy