Small boats/kayaks/canoes for Rhodyfest [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Small boats/kayaks/canoes for Rhodyfest

Quentin
10-04-2000, 01:46 PM
Small boats, canoes and kayaks may come in handy during the Rhodyfest depending upon the weather and fishing conditions. If it's too rough to fish the surf, the small boats can be used to fish in the ponds (Charlestown, Quonny, Winnapaug) or to get to the west sides of Charlestown and Quonny breachways, which I believe are only accessible by boat or 4wd. I'm not sure what the boat launch situation is, but I know that cartoppers can be put in at Charlestown Pond. Something to think about, especially if you have a canoe or kayak that "lives" on your roof rack anyway.

grego
10-04-2000, 02:35 PM
Quentin,

Good point, there are a few small launches to the back estuaries. Also, as you stated, there are a few places that require ORV Permits OR a small boat to get you over to the OTHER side!

i'm so outta here
10-04-2000, 03:25 PM
The ponds were deader than dead last year, but who knows this year. Yes, there is the opportunity for crossing over at Charlestown, but that's about the only location I can think of where it would come into play.

I would say if you have a car topper and it's not a big deal to bring it, go for it, but DO NOT venture anywhere near the mouths of the breachways in light craft. I'm fresh out of body bags http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

grego
10-04-2000, 04:02 PM
Al,

Where did you use up your original supply of Body Bags?

Have you been hanging out with Bulger & flemming again? All of those bodies were burried close to good fishing areas & we know you're a night fisher, Hmmm.

artb
10-04-2000, 09:11 PM
If it is the westside of Quonny, I can get you there either Oct 21 or 22. I will be there. There was a blitz last week, my reports are that it has been slow this week.

i'm so outta here
10-04-2000, 10:09 PM
Yeah, me and Whitey would catch a few schoolies and then dig a grave or two, catch a few more, beat up a nun. You know, the usual.....

Art - thanks for the offer and for setting me straight. It's Quonny, not Charlestown that has a "side of the street" issue. Can you think of any other situations where a kayak or kick boat might be handy? It looks like we will have a good number of people attending.

We'll be coming up with a plan for how to get people to various locations in the next week. If anyone has an idea, fire away.

Al

artb
10-05-2000, 06:14 AM
I have even launched my kayak from the surfside when fish have showed offshore beyond flycasting reach, no problem. I wish someone would show me how to land the kayak in the surf, and get out without rolling over. Using caution there is fishing from a kayak in the breachways, as long as you stay out of the way of the boats coming in , and out. Al, I talked with my son, I think he will e-mail you. He can take 2 flyfishers, or 4 people using rotating fishing. I haven't talked to Ray yet.