Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eleuthera in three weeks!

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  okiplug 
#1 ·
To say we're excited to be going is an understatement. Though my last bonefishing trip was only 6 short months ago to Christmas Island, it's been over two years since my wife and I visited the Bahamas (Andros). We'll be staying at Aqua Vista from May 14-24.

After much research on this site and others, I've got street turns and spots mapped in my handheld gps, and gear of course organized, and have now turned my focus to the more technical aspects. I'm hoping that those with experience can answer a few questions. I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked previously

Our general strategy during our stay is to try and always be on a particular flat on the rising tide travelling further from our home base as the week progresses. Thoughts?

Is there a predominant direction that the current flows on the east and west coasts? How does that change along more southeast-northwest orinted shorelines such as that from Lighthouse Point to Deep Creek?

There appear a number of areas worth exploring on the western shore of Windermere Island. Access appears to be over a bridge about mid-island. Is that open to the public?

As a rule, I understand that if you see a gas station keep your tank topped off. I've mapped the gas stations I could find; Kinky's and Carey's both in the south, Paradise in the middle, Gregory Town Gas mid-central, and the Texaco to the north. Are there specific operating hours that I should be aware of? Anything else I should know?

I like the remoteness of the Boonggy area. Is it worth checking out? Nevermind its so close to Deep Creek we'll probably go!

Is the Eleuthera Insititute open to the public? Seems like an interesting place to visit.

That's all for now. Thank you to all in advance for your help :)!

Glenn

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Okiplug

The bridge you mention is the only road to Windermere and it is private. Windermere is a gated community where some folks take privacy fairly seriously. There's a guard/gate at the bridge blocking access unless your name has been left at the gate by a resident or you can come up with a more convincing reason to proceed than you want to explore some promising bonefish flats. There is some great fishing on the west side of Windermere. I've fished there out of a skiff. If you can meet someone on Windermere and get invited over, fishing should be good.

There are enough gas stations scattered around in the settlements that this shouldn't be something to be overly concerned with. Just try to not run low on petrol after 5:00 p.m. or so and be sure to fuel up on Saturday if you've got a long way to drive to where you want to go Sunday as most are closed then.

The Eleuthera Institute and the projects they are engaged in is very interesting. I was able to get a tour with one of the staff members. I'd suggest calling ahead of time to see when someone there might have time to show you around. Plenty of good places to fish out that direction too.

If you're going to spend time checking out the creeks around Deep Creek you might want to consider renting a kayak from Donald and Kristel Anderson who live there and run Eleuthera Tours. Some of this area has soft bottom and is better accessed via kayak than wading. Donald can help get you headed in the right direction for some good fishing. Their phone #: 242-225-4408 or 242-557-7309.

I'm going to be on the island during the time you are. Maybe our paths will cross. Have fun!

John Pool

#3 ·
Thank you John

I happened to notice your prior post regarding barracuda flies. Did you find a particular fly to be more productive for Eleuthera cuda than others? I have done very well on the standard chartreuse braided poly fly as well as a small shiny mylar fly in the Bahamas and Belize when they get fussy.

Hope to see you on the water!

Glenn

#4 ·
I’ve had the best luck getting barracuda to hit using a chartreuse mylar tubing fly. But I haven’t had consistent success getting a hook up with this fly. I tied up several of these using only one hook at the head as had been recommended by several knowledgeable folks. I haven’t cast for cuda too much but I do give it a shot if one hangs around and I have time to change terminal tackle. Last trip down I had three good-sized cuda’s hit my fly and did not hook any. I believe I’m going try to modify these flys with a stinger hook. I’m carrying some wire and hooks when I go back to the island and try to rig a second hook. Anybody have any thoughts on two hooks rather than just one on cuda flys?

#5 · (Edited)
Okiplug,

I'm far from an expert but I have stayed in N. Palmetto point around 8 times and the tides are obviously important. However, with that said, I've always run into wind so being able to figure out where you can see fish or even just manage good casts is often more important.

I love ocean side fishing but with a strong NE/E/SE breeze that can create some big waves. So then west coast, Savannah Sound or the creeks in the south are better bets. Bring a map with North indicated on it, check your conditions and your forecast for the day.

I have found that the breeze tends to advance clockwise over the course of a week if there is a system in the area.

Hope that helps a bit.

PM if you have any specific questions.

Marty

#7 ·
Flies

JLoop said:
I’ve had the best luck getting barracuda to hit using a chartreuse mylar tubing fly. But I haven’t had consistent success getting a hook up with this fly. I tied up several of these using only one hook at the head as had been recommended by several knowledgeable folks. I haven’t cast for cuda too much but I do give it a shot if one hangs around and I have time to change terminal tackle. Last trip down I had three good-sized cuda’s hit my fly and did not hook any. I believe I’m going try to modify these flys with a stinger hook. I’m carrying some wire and hooks when I go back to the island and try to rig a second hook. Anybody have any thoughts on two hooks rather than just one on cuda flys?
John,

This is the one I use: http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-saltwater-barracuda.htm

Glenn

#9 ·
MartyG said:
Okiplug,

I'm far from an expert but I have stayed in N. Palmetto point around 8 times and the tides are obviously important. However, with that said, I've always run into wind so being able to figure out where you can see fish or even just manage good casts is often more important.

I love ocean side fishing but with a strong NE/E/SE breeze that can create some big waves. So then west coast, Savannah Sound or the creeks in the south are better bets. Bring a map with North indicated on it, check your conditions and your forecast for the day.

I have found that the breeze tends to advance clockwise over the course of a week if there is a system in the area.

Hope that helps a bit.

PM if you have any specific questions.

Marty
Thanks Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.