Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shark attack - Savannah Sound

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  acklinsboy 
#1 ·
March 21, 2013
(Eleuthera, Bahamas) - The Eleutheran can confirm the sighting of a shark this week, near the tranquil shore of Alabaster Bay/Receiver's Beach. Police tonight are also confirming a 50 year old male of Rochester, New York is in hospital after reportedly being bitten by a shark.

According to reports around 3:00 pm on Thursday 21st March, 2013 police at Governors Harbour Police Station received information that a Caucasian male was reportedly bitten to the left leg. The victim was reportedly fishing in waters at Savannah Sound, when the incident occurred. He was taken to the local clinic and later airlifted to the capital where he is detained in stable condition. Active police investigations continue.

Yikes. Going there in 2 weeks and have had a bull shark surface within 30 feet on the drop off in Savannah Sound just after breaking off a bonefish. The shark was obviously attracted to the action. It freaked me out at the time knowing I had over a 100 yards of water between me and the beach.

I hope this is just an anomaly.

Marty

See less See more
#3 ·
I've talked with some locals about big sharks in Savannah Sound and they told me that if a bull is known to frequent it they will stake a dead goat out at the low tide point and wait for the shark to show up on the rising tide to shot it.

That's one way cure the problem I guess.

#4 ·
Here is the full story, right from Kerry Anderson, who was bitten.

I sent him and his brother down to Eleuthera, Bahamas for this trip.

By the way, they loved Eleuthera and are planning to go back, in spite of what happened! He's got agreat attitide about the whole incident, and one hell of a story to tell at parties.

In almost 20 years of bonefishing, I have had hundreds of sharks sharing a flat with me, but never one that acted like this!

http://www.bahamas4u.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3482&highlight=Shark#post3482

#5 ·
After my experience at Savannah Sound I admit that I look around often when I'm on the edge of the flat when I get up to my waist.

And I've seen a dorsal move slowly through the water on more than one occasion 50 yards further out over the vegetation. I think sharks like turtles too. And there are a bunch in there for sure.

Thanks for the update Vince. It's good to hear he's OK and ready to get back there.

#7 ·
A few years ago I was fishing Savannah and hooked a bone close to the drop off. The fish ran into the deep water only to come back onto the flat at warp speed with a 6-7 foot bull shark on his tail. The bone was a ways away so I broke him off, luckily the bone headed away from me with the bull in pursuit.

#8 ·
Kerry had more surgery here in the states just to make sure everything was ok with his foot. He went in Thursday and returned home today. Here' s what he had to say:

"A lot of surgery. Small toe tendon attached to neighbor toe. Nerves moved. Bone scrapped and drilled for regenerative growth. Got home this morning. Lots of oxycodone. Better off then people I saw dying of cancer. I will heal. Life is good. Thanks for your support. I will be fishing soon."

Kerry I hope you make a full recovery and are back on the water soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.