Saturday AM Sortie and Other Musings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saturday AM Sortie and Other Musings

FredA
10-24-2000, 11:44 AM
I snuck out Saturday morning for a couple of hours. Debated exploring some BBay spots (per “Flyfish salt secret spots”) but with little time decided to take a more direct path and check out Sandy Neck Beach. Things seemed pretty dead and the presence of bait was not evident. While changing flies a schoolie broke about 15 feet from me. After getting the fly tied on I cast to cover the area – not a bite. Put the sand eel back on and had a hit within a few casts. But that was it. One hit - no runs… and chores to be done.

Musings:
Anyone catch the Lou Taboury interview in “On The Water”? Seems the cow on the jacket of “Inshore Fly Fishing” was caught in the vicinity of Big Girl Bar prior to the breach.

While waiting for Rip Ryder on South Beach a week ago Saturday the conversation turned to the phantom, Bill Downing. I was somewhat surprised to hear that BD was “young” though I’m not sure what young means. In my minds eye I always envisioned an old sage looking like say… Alec Guinness, Obewonkenobe (sp?) to me, Darth Vadar to my wife. Or LeCarre spymaster George Smiley, with a cadre of operatives gathering intelligence up and down the coast.

While all the posts last week on the Rhody Clave depressed me I found Al’s efforts and organization inspiring.

Weather is looking good the next couple of days. I may burn a vacation day and do a little exploring. Anyone else have the same inclination?

Regards,
Fred A.

TinMan
10-24-2000, 11:49 AM
Imagine Obiwan flying a helicopter!

juro
10-24-2000, 01:52 PM
Is Bill Downing a copter pilot???

i'm so outta here
10-24-2000, 02:03 PM
That certainly would explain how he gets around so much.

Bill, what's your secret?

TinMan
10-24-2000, 02:40 PM
It was just an inspired guess.