OP trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: OP trip

martinc
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm going to the Olympic Peninsula around the middle of March. Never been there before. I would like to explore and fish a few different rivers... looking for suggestions/advice where to go, and also lodging recommendations.

Thanks

Martin

juro
01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Are you exploring on your own or do you have some contacts / guides to hook up with while you're out there?

I always stay at Olympic Suites in Forks, they are former apartments so you can cook your own meals and have separate rooms with friends. Higher end accommodations would include Lake Quinault Lodge further down the coast, but again you'd be best off fishing with a guide there and/or on the Queets River. When the Elwha re-opens I would definitely stay around Port Angeles, but that's a few years down the road.

From Forks you can hit the Hoh, Bogachiel, Calawah, Sol Duc just to name a few. You can't fish all of that water in less than a year as it is, but there are other options around the OP, Cascades and Columbia drainage to think about.

If you can delay a little, think about meeting some of the legends of the sport up on the Skagit River at a demonstration called "Occupy Skagit". You can't fish with a hook but I guarantee you will never forget the people you meet, the insights into casting and fishing will be priceless.

martinc
01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Are you exploring on your own or do you have some contacts / guides to hook up with while you're out there?

Both actually. I'm staying at Lake Quinault Lodge and fishing with a guide on Queets for the first three days. Then doing some exploring and some fishing, but I'm having difficulty narrowing the choices where to spend the next three days. As you say, it would take a year or more to cover those rivers.

Martin

juro
01-30-2013, 10:21 PM
I see - then you'd do well to stay in Forks the other days and fish the Hoh, Sol Duc, Bogey and if there's time the Calawah - in my opinion.

Good luck on the Queets.

martinc
01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Thank you for the helpful information. I'll post a report when I return.

Martin

bigduck10
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Juro,
Ever fish the Sandy north of Portland at the base of Mt. Rainier?

juro
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Fished the Sandy in OR a few times, but never a Sandy on the WA side of the Columbia... got any google map links?